Opening Tonight: Rex Ray's "New Work" at Gallery 16
With the barrage of new art sweeping through town, this weekend's ripe for gallery hopping. As you bounce around downtown from show to show, be sure to add an oldie but goodie to your hit list. Rex Ray, the Bay Area's beloved local artist who has always had a particular penchant for bold colors and abstract designs, is showing off some new work at Gallery 16. The opening reception happens tonight from 6 - 9 p.m.
The exhibit features new pieces—same vivid colors, same abstract shapes—on canvas and wood. In addition to the gallery installation, Ray has also created 30-foot banners, which are on display in Hallidie Plaza on Powell Street right where the cable cars turn around. The banners will be used by Rickshaw Bags to create a line of messenger bags that will be auctioned off for charity.
For more on Rex Ray, check out our interview about his collaboration earlier this year with DODOcase on a signature series of retro-modern iPad2 cases.
Rex Ray "New Work" runs Fri. 9/9 – Sun. 10/30 at Gallery 16, 501 Third St., 415-626-7495, gallery16.com
- SF Artist Rex Ray Designs Exclusive iPad2 Cover for DODOcase
- What To Do Tonight: Art Opening In The Mission
- Tonight: ¡Oye, Mira! at SFAI Goes Out With A Bang
- Tonight: de Young Museum's Mission Muralismo Film Series & Performances by Amaldecor
- Tonight: Q&A with Morgan Spurlock on the Filming of Comic-Con