Stage Werx Theatre's "All Atheists Are Muslim" A Compelling Look at Cultural Divides in Danville, CA
Zahra is moving in with a man. Something that would be perfectly acceptable to her Muslim parents, as long as he isn’t white, an atheist, or her boyfriend. When they learn he’s all of these things, consequences bombard Zahra with all the subtlety of irate heat-seeking missiles.
A compelling one-woman show about the great culture divide that exists in Danville, All Atheists Are Muslim is Zahra Noorbakhsh’s vivid autobiographical account of what happens when a young Iranian-American woman has to tell her deeply traditional parents that she’s moving in with her boyfriend - something that could also be called “spitting ruthlessly on everything they hold dear.” Carving up stereotypes and sauteeing them with comedy and heart, Noorbakhsh’s one-woman show dives deep into cultural and religious differences and finds the universal humanity.
Through October 1. 533 Sutter Street. Tickets are $20-30 at stagewerx.org.
- Pasta, Gangs, and Trannies in "Arrivederci Roma" at Stage Werx
- Muslim Culture Unveiled at Brava Theater Center
- Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World: Western Stand-ups Mine the Middle East for Laughs in 'Just Like Us'
- Foreign Cinema: Divided Attention-Span Theater for Multitasking Eaters and Watchers (and Frameline Absentees)
- Hitchcock's Unsung Gems Take Center Stage at the Castro Theatre