Tony Award Winning 'Vanya & Sonia & Masha & Spike' Comes to Berkeley Rep
This week, the 2013 Tony Award winner for Best Play, Vanya & Sonia & Masha & Spike is making an unusually quick leap from Broadway to the Bay Area, via Berkeley Rep.
It's a coup for the theater, given that the show closed just weeks ago in New York after a highly acclaimed and successful run, and a cast that included Sigourney Weaver and David Hyde Pierce.
The Berkeley cast will feature A.C.T. and CalShakes vet Anthony Fusco in his Rep debut as Vanya; young New York actor Mark Junek as Spike; and Bay Area actresses Sharon Lockwood and Lorri Holt as Sonia and Masha.
The play, written by the hilarious Christopher Durang (Sister Mary Ignatius Explains It All for You, The Marriage of Bette & Boo, Beyond Therapy), centers on the tale of brother and sister Vanya and Sonia (their parents were Chekhov scholars, you see), who live together in a bucolic farmhouse and are paid a visit by their movie star sister Masha, along with her boy toy Spike. The play mashes up Chekhov's themese of isolation, familial obligation, and love with everything from Walt Disney to modern pop culture.
Previews start Friday, September 20, and opening night is next week, September 25. Get tickets here.
- Born at Berkeley Rep, Stew's Passing Strange Gets the Spike Lee Treatment
- Berkeley Rep's You, Nero: I Came, I Saw, I Did a Little Dance, Made a Little Love (While Rome Burned)
- 'The Agony and the Ecstasy of Steve Jobs' at Berkeley Rep
- 2 Cool 4 Theatre? Berkeley Rep Grows Young With Premiere of 'American Idiot'
- Berkeley Rep Meets Rock Theater With "American Idiot"