Zhukov Dance Theater's Fourth Season
Originally a soloist for Kirov Ballet, Yuri Zhukov officially emigrated to the U.S. in 1989 to join the San Francisco Ballet, the first Russian dancer to do so. Now he choreographs based on a European aesthetic of risk-taking, and goes all creative on everything from pirouettes to photography to art.
Experimental and eager to explore new dance terrain, Zhukov attracts compelling performers with strong balletic training. This season's band of seven dancers features San Francisco Ballet alum Martyn Garside, and Katja Björner, formerly of the Royal Swedish Ballet. Björner, called "one of those dancers you're eager to see in almost anything" by The San Francisco Chronicle was also a lead in The Dancer, a documentary must for any ballet fan.
The heart of Zhukov Dance Theater’s fourth season is a vivid and surreal world premiere that melds dance, film, projection, and spoken word into a multimedia interpretation of the dream state.
Through September 3. Z Space, 450 Florida Street. Tickets are $18-35 at 800-838-3006 or brownpapertickets.com.
- Labayen Dance/SF and The DanceWright Project at Dance Mission Theater
- JumpstART: A Free Day of Dance, Theater, and Performance at ODC Theater
- SF's Spring Dance Season is on Pointe
- ‘Tis The Season Traditions at the Theater
- Trailer Parks, Dancing Soldiers, and Mouse Heads: What’s Happening at the Theater