Encounters: New Moon Silk Road
Inspired by the fabled Silk Road (the western world’s first connection with east, now symbolizing cross-fertilization of everything from music to spice racks), Ballet Afsaneh spent the past year orchestrating a collaboration with acclaimed local artists from the Central and South Asian diaspora. This impressive year-long exercise culminates in a performance blending dance, music, and text from the historic trade routes of Eurasia.
Twelve musicians and eight dancers display their respective disciplines from the cultural heritages of Iran, Tajikistan, Indonesia, Afghanistan, India, Morocco, and Hungary. Examples of aforementioned blending: kathak’s stomping footwork and technical turns meet modern music in one section while dancers wind through a silk desert followed by Persian poetry in another. All twenty artists create a vibrant keyhole into the tradition and expansion of Eastern culture.
November 20-21. Cowell Theater, Fort Mason. Tickets are $18-25 at 415-345-7575 or fortmason.org.
- Dance, Dance, Dance! A Winter Calendar of the Heavy Hitters
- Labayen Dance/SF and The DanceWright Project at Dance Mission Theater
- A Fusion of Dances Form SF Ballet's Next Two Programs
- JumpstART: A Free Day of Dance, Theater, and Performance at ODC Theater
- Heartbreak Kids Take Center Stage in 'New Moon'