Grab a Space for PARK(ing) Day 2009
Every September, a special kind of squatter hits the streets around the world, transforming metered parking spaces into mini parks. It's called PARK(ing) Day, and this Friday, September 18, expect to see fake grass, armchairs, planters, art—you name it, someone's got it. Everyone is encouraged to snag a coveted spot and set up shop, but remember to bring enough change for the meter (you are, after all, PARK(ing)). The project was founded by SF-based design collective Rebar, the same group that did the Panhandle band shell and is a wholly non-commercial, "open source" event. Creativity and imagination are highly encouraged. If spectating is more your thing, the project's Ning page includes a mapped of planned PARK(ing) spots here and elsewhere in the world.
- Architecture and the City: Park(ing) Day
- This Week's Hottest Events: Lit King Jonathan Franzen, PARK(ing) Day, Paramore and More
- This Week's Hottest Events: Wilco, Chris Kattan, and Park(ing) Day
- Do Whatever You Want in a Metered Spot Today. It's Park(ing) Day 2012!
- This Week's Hottest Events: Funny or Die Oddball Comedy Fest, Park(ing) Day, and More