John Carpenter Invades the Castro Theatre Tonight
Late-breaking news: Midnites for Maniacs programmer Jesse Hawthorne Ficks will be hosting a must-see '80s marathon all day Saturday at the Castro Theatre, featuring Sylvester Stallone's criminally overlooked Nighthawks, Jean-Claude Van Damme kicking ass in Bloodsport, a pair of John Carpenter gems (a newly restored print of Big Trouble in Little China, followed by They Live), and a "secret midnite film" rumored to be none other than Hulk Hogan's No Holds Barred.
Tickets for one or all five features cost $13 each. For more information, visit the Castro's website. Retro-obsessed fans of bone-crunching action, bulked-up badasses and, in Carpenter's case, deliriously campy and slyly intelligent sci-fi will not want to miss this. (Keith David and "Rowdy" Roddy Piper's epic fistfight in They Live must be experienced on the big screen.) See you there.
More Arts + Culture Postings
- When Aging Action Stars Attack: Sylvester Stallone's 'The Expendables'
- Indie Theater Roundup: 7 Movies to See This Week
- Notes from a Darkened Theater: The NFL Embraces Pelham 1 2 3, Anvil Gets Thunderstruck
- Notes from a Darkened Theater: The Thing Returns, Raimi Goes to Hell
- Trick or Treat: October Movie Preview