Our Top 7 Art Picks
Artwork by Charlie Callahan; courtesy Receiver Gallery
Tune in on first Friday's for the Hot List's top 7 gallery openings and art events of the month.
1. "Erotic Art" sneaks an NC-17 peak at the otherwise romantic themes of Valentine’s Day with salacious photography, painting and live performance at the City Art Cooperative Gallery. Opening reception February 1 from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.
City Art 828 Valencia St., 415-970-9900.
2. Local artist Charlie Callahan re-contextualizes debris and found objects in his solo show "See 4 Sail." Opening reception Saturday, February 2 from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Receiver Gallery 1415 Valencia St., 415-550-RCVR.
3. Michigan artist Matt Gordon brings his slightly macabre, creature-filled paintings to SF in a solo show called "Vegetable." Opening reception Thursday, February 7 at 5 p.m.
RVCA 1485 Haight St. 415-701-7822.
4. SF painter Micah LeBrun presents dark new reflections on the war in Iraq in "Harmonic Silence." Opening reception Thursday, February 7 at 6 p.m.
Minna Gallery 111 Minna St., 415-974-1719
5. The de Young celebrates the opening of "Gilbert & George," a photo retrospective of the European performance artists that made a career of putting themselves into their art. The free opening features DJ Kristen Rice, a spoken word performance from Jello Biafra, live music from Penelope Houston and more. Opening celebration February 15 from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.
de Young Museum 50 Hagiwara Tea Garden Dr., 415-863-3330.
6. More than 50 artists will contribute to "Printed Matter 3," a show dedicated to all manner of print art—including silk-screened designs, woodcuts, etchings, lithographs and more. Opening reception Saturday, February 16 from 6:30 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Giant Robot 618 Shrader St., 415-876-4773.
7. Southern Exposure presents the 8th Annual Monster Drawing Rally at Club Verdi. Over 130 artists create and sell one of a kind work on site and raise funds for Southern Exposure’s exhibitions and Artists in Education Programs. Friday, February 22 from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m.
Southern Exposure 2424 Mariposa St., 415-861-9199.