Top 7 A+E Picks
"Nightwalk;" courtesy of Ryan Seng
Here’s 7 not-to-miss A+E happenings this week.
1. Greil Marcus at the Jewish Community Center on Tuesday, March 25
Rock critic and author Greil Marcus discusses his journalistic work on rock n’ roll and American culture as well as his latest book The Shape of Things to Come.
2. Fully Flared screening at Mezzanine on Wednesday, March 26
This highly anticipated skate video features the directorial skills of Spike Jones and Ty Evans and boasts pro-skaters like Eric Koston and Rick Howard as well as a music snob-approved soundtrack.
3. Justice and Diplo at the SF Concourse and Exhibition Center
Get prepared to D.A.N.C.E when French house-electro duo (and Hot List favorite) perform tunes off their smashing debut † on Thursday, March 27.
4. The Lady Tigra at Café Du Nord on Friday. March 28
Former member of Miami Bass female rap duo L’Trimm—best known for their infectuous bass-heavy jam “Cars That Go Boom”—The Lady Tigra performs songs off her latest effort Mr. Boombox.
5. Ryan Seng Project2 at 111 Minna Gallery
Check out the haunting paintings, drawings and even short film Bacon Man by Davis-based artist Ryan Seng at the opening night party for his exhibit which also features live music by Whitey on the Moon and others.
6. “Going Global: Italian Style and the Movies in the Boom Years”
Eugenia Paulicelli Ph. D., author of Fashion Under Fascism: Beyond the Black Shirt, discusses films by Fellini and Antonioni and their influence on fashion, costume and design on Saturday, March 29 at the Museum of Craft and Folk Art.
7. Stand Up for Justice 2008 at Cobb's Comedy Club on Sunday, March 30
This hilarious night of comedy—featuring Paula Poundstone of NPR’s Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me and comedian Brian Copeland among others—benefits Death Penalty Focus, who advocate the abolition of capital punishment.