Bean King Sando Honored by Bon Appetit
Bon Appetit magazine has once again published their annual "Bon Appetit awards," a list of 10 "people, companies and products setting new standards of culinary excellence in food, drinks, travel and design." For this, the magazine's 12th list, we were happy to see that California got lots of love (not entirely surprising, considering BA is a Los Angeles-based publication). Of those local stars who made the cut (click here to read the whole article) I was most pleased to see that Steve Sando, owner of Rancho Gordo beans, was included on the list (follow him on Twitter @ranchogordo). I mean, here's a man who has made beans cool. No mean feat. If you don't already own a copy of Sando's superlative all-bean cookbook, Heirloom Beans, buy one now—then stock up on the goods at the Saturday Ferry Plaza Farmers Market or at Rainbow Grocery, where they're sold in bulk.
- Rancho Gordo's New Cookbook: Get Cheap and Chic With Two Bean Stews
- Mayacoba Bean Salad with Pesto and Shrimp from Steve Sando's Heirloom Beans
- Market Watch: Sunday Supper, Very Hot Sauce and Fresh Mozzarella
- EAT IT: Pop-up Bean Suppers, Culinary Legends and Market Cocktails
- Schmidt's Is Sausage King