Beer, Beer and More Beer: Oktoberfest is Here
Time to dust off that stein, prime up your belly, and get on your polka dancing shoes. It's almost October, which means one great thing to the beer world: Oktoberfest. As usual, there's lots going on in SF to celebrate brewing's most famous month. Here are the events I've been able to uncover so far. I'll post more events when I find them.
- Things get started this Thursday, the 24th, at Toronado with "Brats, Kraut, Ooompah band, and of course, great Spaten beers on tap with draft specials all night." Why celebrate Octoberfest starting in September. Well, in Germany it's traditional. For the reason why, read this.
- Oktoberfest By the Bay: October 2-4 at Pier 49. Non-stop music, dancing, singing, German food and, oh yes, beer. Here's the website (watch out for the music!).
- 21st Amendment: During the second week of October, 21st Amendment will be pouring a special Oktoberfest brew in special beer steins and serving German cuisine out of their excellent kitchen.
- Monk's Kettle: The great Mission beer bar isn't doing a special party, but is loading up on German brews for October and will be featuring some good German food.
- Schroeder's: Things kick off Friday September 25 at this great German beer bar with Joe Smiell’s Fest Band & Bavarian Folk Dancers & German Elves (hostesses). And continue the celebration every Friday in October.
- Suppenküche: Things are already going here through October 4 with food specials, beer and a special lunch menu. Check their site for details and a nice explanation of the holiday.