Caitlin Freeman’s Brown Sugar and Winter Spice Granola Recipe
In the December issue of 7x7, we chose the seven best cookbooks to gift your foodie (“The Cook’s Bookshelf”). We’re in the giving mood, so here are our favorite recipes from each tome.
From The Blue Bottle Craft of Coffee: Growing, Roasting, and Drinking, with Recipes, by James Freeman, Caitlin Freeman, and Tara Duggan.
Brown Sugar and Winter Spice Granola
Makes 12-15 servings
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup water
4 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 walnuts, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cups pecans, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon freshly ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon Maldon sea salt
1/3 cup canola oil
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
2. In a small heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar and water.
3. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar is completely dissolved and the mixture comes to a boil.
4. Let cool to room temperature.
5. In a large bowl, combine the oats, walnuts, pecans, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and mix well.
6. Add the oil and vanilla extract to the brown sugar syrup and stir until thoroughly combined and uniform in texture; it will be messy, but your hands are the best tool for the job.
7. Transfer to a rimmed 13x18 inch baking sheet and pat down in an even layer; it will be thick but shouldn’t be higher than the rim of the pan.
8. Bake for 75 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and use a large metal spatula to flip the granola, keeping it in as large of chunks as possible.
10. Return the granola to the oven and bake for about 60 minutes, until completely dry and no longer at all soft if you take a bite.
11. Let cool before serving.
Note: Stored in a lightly sealed container at room temperature, the granola will keep for 2 weeks.
Reprinted with permission from The Blue Bottle Craft of Coffee: Growing, Roasting, and Drinking, with Recipes, by James Freeman, Caitlin Freeman, and Tara Duggan, copyright © 2012. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House, Inc.
- Sugar and Spice and People Who Aren't Nice
- Bay Area Power Couples: James & Caitlin Freeman of Blue Bottle
- Leave Winter Behind and Jump Into Spring with Anchor Distilling's New Recipe
- Edible Schoolyard: An Elitist Waste of Time?
- Market Watch: Sow Fresh Juice and Nana Joe's Granola Join the Farmers Market Lineup