The Eater Wrap: Bocuse Semi-Finalists, Sprinkles Madness, Hot Chefs and Still More Openings
Welcome back to the Eater Wrap, your Friday recap of all the restaurant news, hot gossip, whimsy foodstuffs, and general awesomeness from the week over at Eater SF.
1) Superchef Daniel Boulud unveiled the semi-finalists to represent the USA at the next Bocuse d'Or cooking competition. The French-based competition—dubbed the Culinary Olympics—won't take place until 2011, but the 12 chefs who made the cut will duke it out in early 2010 for a honor to represent America in Lyon.
2) At the Eater Polls, the Hottest Chef in the Bay Area competition continued this week in full force, with some surprising results and plenty of nail-biting votes. Make sure to vote for your favorite chef eye-candy.
3) Last week saw Frances, Banker & Banker and others roll out, and once again, 'twas another big week for restaurant openings in and around San Francisco. The headliner was, of course, Smuggler's Cove, which you probably know all about, unless you've been living under a tiki rock or something, but also making debuts were Sandbox Bakery in Bernal Heights, Manor West in Clubland, and Yamasho in Polk Gulch.
4) OMG it's Sprinkles. Cupcakes. In San Francisco. Run around the office with arms flailing.
5) Citing a hefty rent increase from the landlord, Potrero Hill's Lingba will shutter next week, capping off a year of big changes on 18th Street (fellow well-known neighborhood joints Eliza's and Baraka also closed).
6) In other shutter news, Tsar Nicoulai Caviar will exit the Ferry Building next month, leaving its prized spot up for grabs.
7) Last but certainly not least, the review circuit has finally descended upon the shiny new version of Quince. Unsurprisingly, both Bauer and Unterman filed raves, with the general consensus that the Tusks know what they're doing down on Pacific Avenue. And it's so pretty.
More Eat + Drink Postings
- The Eater Wrap: Zinnia to Close, Sprinkles Arrives, and Meadowood's Xmas Celebrations
- The Eater Wrap: Burger Bar Opens, Leiva Leaves, Dive Bars, MomoContests and MORE!
- The Eater Wrap: Ghirardelli Shutters, Top Cheffage, Recession-Proof Maps, Tipsy Openings and More!
- The Eater Wrap: Critic Shuffles, Town Hall's New Chef, and the New Eater 38
- The Eater Wrap: More Coffee, More Appleman, More Frank