The Eater Wrap: Critic Shuffles, Town Hall's New Chef, and the New Eater 38
It's a rainy day Friday, which means it's time for the Eater Wrap, the weekly recap from Eater SF on all the happenings from the local restaurant, nightlife and food media scenes. Plus, it's not really the weekend until you peruse the Eater Wrap.
1) In a few months or so, SoMa's South Park neighborhood will be getting a shiny new restaurant, and brace, the newcomer is going to be a grilled cheese specialist called The American.
2) It's a new month, which means an updated version of The Eater 38, the answer to any question that begins, “Can you recommend a restaurant…”
3) The big news of the week was the surprising dismissal of Meredith Brody from her restaurant critic position at SF Weekly. Village Voice Media has already started a search for her replacement, and per the job ad, he/she will have to double as a blogger.
4) Town Hall has a new man behind the stoves and in a somewhat surprising move, it's Vernon Morales. Now, Morales is probably best known around these parts as the forward-thinking chef behind the shuttered Winterland, but the guy has an impressive resume. Town Hall won't be changing its menu or scope, but expect to see some specials here and there.
5) Up in Napa, there's some juicy rumormongering that Food Network just might be flirting with the idea of taking over the ill-fated Copia campus and turning it into a West Coast studio and headquarters.
6) Speaking of Napa, Bravo has confirmed what was already known: the Top Chef Vegas finale will indeed take place in Wine Country.
7) Last but certainly not least, Eater launched two new sites this week: Eater Miami and Eater Portland. Both cities have quite fascinating dining scenes, albeit for different reasons. Do stop in and say hello.
- The Eater Wrap: Top Pastry Chef, Inside Quince, and Burger Bar Buzz
- The Eater Wrap: Fresh Blood on Top Chef and a New Crop of Restaurants
- The Eater Wrap: The Non-Anon Newspaper Critic, Carte415 and Yelp
- The Eater Wrap: Bocuse Semi-Finalists, Sprinkles Madness, Hot Chefs and Still More Openings
- The Eater Wrap: The Bloody Shutter Tally, Inside Heaven's Dog and an Unfortunate Top Chef Episode