The Eater Wrap: Fresh Blood on Top Chef and a New Crop of Restaurants
Welcome back to the Eater Wrap, the weekly report from Eater SF on all the restaurant news that's fit to print, including ceremonious openings, juicy rumormongering and your requisite Top Cheffage.
1) The week's blockbuster came on Wednesday with the announcement of the new crop of contestants on the upcoming season of Top Chef. Set to debut in late August, the sixth season will take place in Vegas, and for local rooting interests, a trio of San Francisco chefs are involved: Mattin Noblia, chef/owner of Iluna Basque and token Euro; Laurine Wickett, chef/owner of Left Coast Catering; and Preeti Mistry, Google chef. Let the countdown commence.
2) From Tony's to Rickhouse to Commis, recent weeks have seen a flurry of new openings and the past seven days were no exception, with newcomers like Scott Howard's Five and Belden Place's Trademark leading the way...
3) ...But every silver lining has a few clouds, and a few restaurants ceremoniously bit the dust recently, most notably Broadway's Cossu, the Mission's Levende Lounge and Divisadero's beloved Metro Kathmandu.
4) Dear San Francisco restaurants, help us help you: let's do away with annoying autoplay music on websites, yes?
5) Rumor has it that a brewpub is en route for the stretch of Market Street right across the way from Zuni, and judging by the early response, Central Market Brewing would be a welcome addition.
6) If you want to get a primetime table at the Front Porch, you just might have to charm their Gatekeepers. Because flowers and alcohol don't work.
7) Once upon a time (1867), 1233 Polk Street was home to the Mayes Oyster House. In recent years, however, the space has been somewhat of a revolving door, hosting the short-lived Midpoint and before that, O'Reilly's Holy Grail. But now, Mayes is going to attempt a comeback.
- The Eater Wrap: Critic Shuffles, Town Hall's New Chef, and the New Eater 38
- The Eater Wrap: Top Pastry Chef, Inside Quince, and Burger Bar Buzz
- The Eater Wrap: The Bloody Shutter Tally, Inside Heaven's Dog and an Unfortunate Top Chef Episode
- The Eater Wrap: Bocuse Semi-Finalists, Sprinkles Madness, Hot Chefs and Still More Openings
- The Eater Wrap: Enrico's Makes Moves, Cupcakes Unleashed, Plus Top Cheffage