The Eater Wrap: More Pizza Snobbery and 17-Pound Bowls of Pho
Welcome back to the Eater Wrap, the weekly report from Eater SF on all the restaurant news that's fit to print, including pizzaiolos, passive-aggressive restaurateurs, hipster bowlers, and Mariah Carey's sidekick Padma.
1) So the Bay Area has always had this little addiction called pizza, and this week, the longtime trend showed signs of blossoming into a full-fledged obsession. Following a three-star review for Mission hit Flour + Water, Monday brought the possibility of meticulous New York pizza master Anthony Mangieri relocating to San Francisco. Think of it as a Mangieri-Appleman trade.
2) But there's more PizzaWire to share. Much more. Richard Corbo, last seen earning three stars at Ducca, is going to open his own Italian osteria/pizzeria in the upcoming Jack London Square Market. It will be called Pizzeria Zanna Bianca and is due in early 2010.
2.5) Speaking of the new Jack London Square mega-market, take a gander at the juicy renderings of the huge Oakland waterfront project that will supposedly dwarf the Ferry Building.
3) The good news is that Top Chef priestess Padma Lakshmi is getting a sitcom. The even better news is that the news prompted the internet to unearth clips of her prior acting gigs in Glitter and Star Trek. Brace.
4) Want to gorge yourself for free? Go to Pho Garden in the Richmond, where they challenge you to eat a 17-pound bowl of pho. You finish the meat and noodles, the bowl is gratis. Then you feel bad about yourself.
5) Ferry Plaza Seafood might have the most entertaining—not to mention passive aggressive—website in town. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing though.
6) At this point, a bowling alley in the Mission is still merely a rumor, but if the ABC gives it the green-light, well, then the imagined visuals (pictured) could become a reality.
7) And just in case you haven't gotten enough pizza yet: another Neopolitan-style joint made its debut in North Beach this week. Check out Pulcinella and the week's other new restaurants in the latest edition of The Dish.
- The Eater Wrap: More Coffee, More Appleman, More Frank
- The Eater Wrap: Bocuse Semi-Finalists, Sprinkles Madness, Hot Chefs and Still More Openings
- The Eater Wrap: The Joe Wars, Behind the SPQR Scenes, More Alice Dreams
- The Eater Wrap: Burger Bar Opens, Leiva Leaves, Dive Bars, MomoContests and MORE!
- The Eater Wrap: Tadich's Fire, Mission Burger and More!