The Eater Wrap: Nate-O-Matic and the New Home of Frances
Welcome back to the Eater Wrap, the weekly report from Eater SF on all the restaurant news that's fit to print, including dive bars, unfortunate celebrity chefs hairdos and a little thing called the Nate-O-Matic.
1) With the help of Citysearch's Patrick Heig, Eater SF rolled out a new feature called A Beer At, in which the city's many anonymous, forgotten watering holes are examined, one by one. For the maiden voyage, Mr. Heig soaked in everything Chelsea Place had to offer. And more.
2) Of course, the sky-is-falling news of the week was the exit of Nate Appleman from A16 and SPQR, but rather than dwell on the negative, everyone should really spend some time playing the Nate-O-Matic to discover his next step.
3) One star might be departing, but another is on the way: Eater broke the news that Melissa Perello finally found a home—in the Castro—for her long-awaited solo project, Frances.
4) That Michael Chiarello was oh so groovy back in the 70s. But how does his teenage hairdo compare with those of Tony Bourdain and Tom Colicchio?
5) Openings this week ranged from Market Street (Showdogs) to Sebastopol (Pizzavino 707), but the biggest one was probably the new project from Coi's Daniel Patterson in the Ferry Building, called Il Cane Rosso. To ring in the festivities, Patterson even offered free lunch on Day One, with the early reactions to prove it.
6) There's a chance you may need sunglasses to look at the new version of the iconic El Tonayense taco truck.
7) The hottest bar in town is probably Rickhouse, the Kearny Street endeavor from the Bourbon & Branch folks. But what's the early word on the FiDi's new cocktail haven? Let's ask Mickey Mouse and the Yelpers.
- The Eater Wrap: Critic Shuffles, Town Hall's New Chef, and the New Eater 38
- The Eater Wrap: Fresh Blood on Top Chef and a New Crop of Restaurants
- The Eater Wrap: Bocuse Semi-Finalists, Sprinkles Madness, Hot Chefs and Still More Openings
- The Eater Wrap: The Joe Wars, Behind the SPQR Scenes, More Alice Dreams
- The Eater Wrap: Top Pastry Chef, Inside Quince, and Burger Bar Buzz