The Eater Wrap: Starbelly Opens, Ty-Flo Has a Lot on His Plate
It's Friday, which means time for the Eater Wrap, the weekly recap from Eater SF on all the happenings from the local restaurant scene.
1) Last weekend, the San Francisco restaurant scene converged on Union Square for the inaugural edition of SF Chefs. Food. Wine. Naturally, a full recap with all kinds of critic-spotting and memorable quotes was warranted, plus some bonus coverage on the phenemoneon that is Hubert Keller, from t-shirts to wigs to video of his DJ/dancing skills.
2) The long-awaited episode of Tony Bourdain's No Reservations aired on Monday night, with Incanto and Sebo among the highlighted destinations. Also on the full roster of Bourdain haunts are a few that are bound to be newly-popular, like That's It Market in the Mission.
3) Moving on to the restaurant news: Usually, restaurants under construction are invariably behind their initial schedules, which is why it was so suprising to learn that Starbelly, a new concept in the Castro from the Beretta folks, is opening early.
4) Poor Epic Roasthouse spent millions upon millions of dollars to open up and now no one wants to pay for its $50 steak: Pat Kuleto's meatopia has cut lunch hours. You do hate to see that.
5) Maybe the most anticipated restaurant to open in the next month will be Charles Phan's much-delayed Out the Door on Bush and Fillmore. In taking a sneak peek at the space, it was also revealed it's quickly nearing, with tastings already underway.
6) That Tyler Florence fella is sure going to be busy.
7) Speaking of TV chefs, Michael Chiarello was almost attacked by a little person. But the good news is that the Napa Stylist is one of the three finalists on Top Chef Masters, along with Chicago's Rick Bayless and t-shirt icon Hubert Keller.
- The Eater Wrap: Burger Bar Opens, Leiva Leaves, Dive Bars, MomoContests and MORE!
- The Eater Wrap: Alice Returns, Midi Opens, RN74 Readies
- The Eater Wrap: Lots of Openings, ZagatDay '09, and the Magical Kozy Kar
- The Eater Wrap: Morimoto Coming To Napa, Ty Flo to SF
- The Eater Wrap: Tavern on the Green Meets the Metreon and Contigo (Finally) Opens