The Eater Wrap: Zinnia to Close, Sprinkles Arrives, and Meadowood's Xmas Celebrations
It's Friday, which means time for the Eater Wrap, the weekly recap from Eater SF on all the happenings from the local restaurant scene. Feel free to grab some popcorn. Or candy canes. 'Tis the season, after all.
1) The big news today comes from Jackson Street's Zinnia, which will be closing at the end of the year. The sad closure is being chalked up to the unforgiving economy, which not even chef/owner Sean O'Brien could overcome in the former Scott Howard space.
2) Medjool: "It is like the Nordstroms of restaurants." (!)
3) Up in Napa, the Restaurant at Meadowood is more than halfway through its annual 12 Days of Christmas guest chef bonanza. If you haven't been fortunate enough to partake in the festivities, check out Eater's behind-the-scenes recaps of Day Four (LA's Animal guys), Day Five (Naomi Pomeroy), Day Six (Michael Cimarusti), Day Seven (Nancy Oakes/Ravi Kapur) and Day Eight (Paul Liebrandt).
4) Brace: The nail-biting Hottest Chef in the Bay Area competition is down to its final three chefs: Flour + Water's Jon Darsky, the French Laundry's Timothy Hollingsworth and Aziza's Louis Maldonado. Go vote!
5) Speaking of hotness, Miketastic finally filed his big (re)review of SPQR, giving it a solid three stars this time around.
6) As Tsar Nicoulai Caviar packs up and gets ready to leave the Ferry Building, the early odds have Heath Ceramics taking the soon-to-be vacated spot.
7) Probably one of the more entertaining happenings of the last few days took place when Sprinkles and Kara's Cupcakes had an awkward cupcake-van faceoff at Justin Herman Plaza. You do hate to see that.
- The Eater Wrap: The Joe Wars, Behind the SPQR Scenes, More Alice Dreams
- The Eater Wrap: Red's Hiatus, Alice Waters Votes and Jeanty Gets Spanked
- The Eater Wrap: Bocuse Semi-Finalists, Sprinkles Madness, Hot Chefs and Still More Openings
- The Eater Wrap: Critic Shuffles, Town Hall's New Chef, and the New Eater 38
- The Eater Wrap: Top Pastry Chef, Inside Quince, and Burger Bar Buzz