Lowering the Bar: 5 Places to Drink For Cheap (or Free) This Week
Each week, we bring you our top picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF.
1. N-Judah Chronicles Anniversary Bash: The N-Judah Chronicles are celebrating six years of keeping tabs on life in the Inner Sunset, and neighborhood folks are invited to come celebrate with them at Blackthorn Tavern, where Blockboard will be giving away free beers. The catch? You either have to prove that you live in the I.S. (they threaten obscure trivia questions), or download the Blockboard app on your phone. Not a bad deal, all told. RSVP here. Thursday, October 13, 5-7 pm, at Blackthorn Tavern, 834 Irving St., Inner Sunset.
2. Funcheap Jazz Party at Yoshi's: No plans tonight? Yoshi's is launching a new Wednesday jazz night in their lounge, and the crew at SF Funcheap are helping them kick things off with a special happy hour. Sip on $5 Stoli Chocolate Razberi cocktails and $4 beers, nosh on a free sushi spread, and groove to the sounds of the Chris Amberger Trio with Randy Vincent and Naje. RSVP here. Wednesday, October 12, 9 pm-12 am, at Yoshi's, 1330 Fillmore St., Fillmore District.
3. Trumer Featured Artist Opening: Trumer Pils has always been a big supporter of the local art community, like Lorenzo de'Medici with more free beer. Now they're reaching out to individual artists, sponsoring them for a month with gallery events, after-parties, and a social-media push. October's artist of the month is Joey Piziali, whose work will be featured at Guerrero Gallery alongside plenty of gratis Trumer Pils. Saturday, October 15, 7-11 pm, at Guerrero Gallery, 2700 19th St., Mission.
4. Drambuie Presents Thee Oh Sees: Local heroes Thee Oh Sees will be performing at Treasure Island this weekend, but they're warming up with a free show at Brick & Mortar Music Hall. Since Drambuie is sponsoring, we wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit of free or inexpensive creamy whisky floating around, but if you're really saving your pennies, the afterparty is at cheap-beer haven Casanova Lounge. RSVP here. Thursday, October 13, 6-9 pm, at Brick & Mortar Music Hall, 1710 Mission St., Mission.
5. Moombah Madness: Moombahton, dubstep, and glitchpop are the linchpins of this dance night, with DJs Harris Pilton, Manic Chris, Mightybender, and Mean Chaveen working the turntables. Get there before 11 pm for free entry and a celebratory round of gratis shots; after that, the cover is still only $3. Oh, and if you're a Libra, e-mail them-- they want to help you celebrate your recent/upcoming birthday with some free champagne. RSVP here. Thursday, October 13, 10 pm-2 am, at ShineSF, 1337 Mission St., SOMA.