Lowering the Bar: 5 Places to Drink For Cheap (or Free) This Week
Each week, we bring you our top picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF.
1. Yelp Drinks: Oh, Yelp, we are so conflicted about you. You help keep people we like in business, but you also ruin the lives of anyone who lives in a three-block radius of Ike's Place. You get us the early feedback on that new place we've been thinking about trying, but you also give a bully pulpit to kinda-crazy people. Luckily, you're doing something this week that we can agree on: cheap drinks, most $4 or $5, at a pretty great selection of bars. Rye's basil gimlet and 15 Romolo's Brick and Timber at half-off are music to our ears. Maybe we can make this relationship work. (Complete list of bars here. Through Sunday, March 7.)
2. $5 Glasses of Wine at Luella: The Russian Hill restaurant Luella is turning 5, which is also the number of sawbucks you'll need to get a glass of wine there this March. Every wine on their by-the-glass list is offered at the special rate, and you can enjoy the glass at the bar if you're not interested in noshing. Happy anniversary, indeed. (Sunday-Thursday, through Wednesday, March 31, at Luella, 1896 Hyde St., Russian Hill.)
3. $1 Wells at Avenue Lounge: The folks at Avenue Lounge are reaching out to help you Sunset and SF State denizens get through the week, with two hours of $1 wells on Wednesday nights from ten to midnight. (They mention "ordering a half-dozen at a time," to which we say, please patronize these people, we admire their grit.) Can't make it out on humpday, or don't do well booze? They're also offering a different top-shelf tipple for $5 each night: Sunday is Hennessy, Monday is Ketel One, Tuesday is Johnnie Walker Black, Wednesday is Hennessy again, and Thursday is Patron. ($1 wells Wednesdays, 10 pm-12 am; $5 top-shelf all night Sunday-Thursday, at Avenue Lounge, 1334 Noriega St., Sunset.)
4. Mission Microhood Party: The Bold Italic is at it again with another liquor-soaked SF event, only this one is free. Tour the five new shops that have opened on 20th and 21st between Mission and Valencia, receiving free booze (Firestone Walker beer, prosecco, mead) and shopping discounts at each. RSVP so they can get enough kegs to fuel the retail madness. (Thursday, March 4, 8-10 pm, on 20th and 21st Sts. between Mission and Valencia Sts., Mission.)
5. OgilvyWest Art Exhibition: In case you haven't watched or don't believe Mad Men, take it from LTB: Ad people can party like nobody's business. Meet a few at OgilvyWest's exhibition of work from Creativity Explored, which will also offer free beer and appetizers, then run out into the night to enjoy more truth serum with your new buddies. RSVP here. (Thursday, March 4, 5-9 pm, at OgilvyWest, 111 Sutter St., 10th Floor, Financial District.)