Lowering the Bar: 5 Places to Drink For Cheap (or Free) This Week
Each week, former sf.myopenbar.com editor Allie Pape brings you her picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF. This week: Three classy deals, two trashy deals. Have an event coming up? Want to share a tip? E-mail her.
1. Alembic's Half-Off Beer: We love the hip Haight bar Alembic, but our wallet tends to disagree after a round or two there-- a real shame, considering their vast beer selection. Luckily, there's some light at the end of this tunnel for suds-lovers: the Alembic's bottled beer selection is now half-off on Mondays, allowing visitors to drink in the gorgeous environs without the crowds or the markup. Another money-saving tip: they're now serving lunch, at significantly lower prices compared to their evening menu. (Monday nights at Alembic, 1725 Haight St., Upper Haight.)
2. Happy Hour at Bacar: Also from the "too rich for our blood, until now" files: SOMA hotspot Bacar has a new chef, and a new happy hour menu, with all their bar bites half-off. This means $5.50 sliders, $3 fries, and on Fridays, $1 oysters. To wash it all down, they're also offering $2 drafts, $5 classic cocktails, and selected wines by the glass. Poverty never felt so classy. (Daily, 4:30-7 pm, at Bacar, 448 Brannan St., SOMA.)
3. Late Night Happy Hour at Sheba: One of the many musically-inclined restaurants lining the gentrified Fillmore strip, Sheba Piano Lounge prides itself on its commitment to world music. Their new late-night happy hour reflects this, with a commitment to world drinking. Enjoy $4 beers from Ethiopia (St. George), Belgium (Stella), SF (Anchor Steam), and Portla--er, Germany (Widmer). $6 will get you a glass of Italian Pinot Grigio, Argentine Malbec, or good old Irish-Catholic Jameson. Spinning a globe and making a room spin, together at last. (Sunday-Thursday, 10 pm-12 am, and Friday-Saturday, 11 pm-1 am, at Sheba Piano Lounge, 1419 Fillmore St., Fillmore.)
4. Lexington Club $1 Margaritas: If you're not inclined to visit the classy establishments above, we have a pair of trashier places with absurdly good weekend deals. Up first: the Lexington Club, a Mission dive with a largely (but not strictly) lesbian crowd. They have $1 margaritas for an hour on Friday nights to fuel the girl-on-girl action. (Fridays, 9-10 pm, at the Lexington Club, 3464 19th St., Mission.)
5. Bar on Church 50-Cent PBR: We've previously featured the escapades of the crew at Bar on Church, who are always looking for new ways to ensnare sotted misers: their latest is 50-cent PBR on Saturdays, offered from late afternoon until early evening. Yeah, the ambience is like being inside a giant disco ball, but between this and the bottomless beer special, we have to applaud them for looking out for the little guy. (Saturdays, 4-8 pm, at Bar on Church, 198 Church St., Castro.)