Lowering the Bar: 5 Places to Drink For Cheap (or Free) This Week
Each week, former sf.myopenbar.com editor Allie Pape brings you her picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF. This week: Free drinks bonanza, with deals for the unemployed, Yelpers, singles, and people who like tequila. Have an event coming up? Want to share a tip? E-mail her.
1. Playdom Fridays: Unemployed? Interested in social gaming? Willing to feign one or both of these conditions? The gaming company Playdom is hosting an open bar tonight at 21st Amendment, aimed at gaining new recruits to their unstoppable time-wasting juggernaut. And hey, if they're willing to do the free-beer thing for complete strangers, imagine how awesome it would be to work there. RSVP here. (Friday, December 4, 5-7 pm, at 21st Amendment, 563 2nd St., SOMA.)
2. 15 Romolo Tequila Tasting: Also in the realm of Friday-night generosity to strangers are the good folks at 15 Romolo, otherwise known as "that one really hip bar next to all the North Beach strip clubs." Their bartenders have been hard at work on a Prohibition-style cocktail featuring tequila, and visitors to the bar tonight will be able to try said cocktail for free. They'll also have free tastings of Corrido Blanco and Extra Anejo. Just be sure to avoid the neighbors after all that agave goodness. (Friday, December 4, 5:30-7:30 pm, at 15 Romolo, 15 Romolo St., North Beach.)
3. Yelp Unwrapped: If you're hip to the Yelp scene but haven't been by the site lately, you might have missed the announcement for their annual holiday bash, which will feature free vodka, beer, and wine, plus samples from restaurants like Ike's Place and Gelateria Naia. You have to RSVP through Yelp, so admission will be tough for those without an account. However, if you're like us, you have that one friend who's always Yelping. Prevail upon that friend. (Monday, December 7, 8-10 pm, at the Westin St. Francis, 335 Powell St., Union Square.)
4. Single Malts for Singles: A pretty cute little event: if you're single, the new SF matchmaking company Save the Date(ing) wants your business, and is willing to show its enthusiasm with a free single-malt scotch tasting. It's taking place at an art gallery, so you'll have another topic of conversation besides the deliciousness of free booze. This event is technically next week, but with an RSVP deadline this Monday, we thought we'd let lonelyhearts readers know now. RSVP here. (Thursday, December 10, 7:30-9:30 pm, at HANG Art Gallery, 567 Sutter St., Tendernob.)
5. Neighborhood Appreciation Hour: It's been a tough few months for residents of Potrero Hill, with the loss of some stalwart restaurants in the neighborhood. Luckily, Circolo is stepping up to the challenge with a Wednesday happy hour geared towards Potrero denizens. They're offering $2 beers, $3 wells, and $5 glasses of wine, and they'll also have complimentary appetizers and a weekly drawing for prizes. We hope this will make the Hill happier. (Wednesdays, 5:30-9 pm, complimentary food 5:30-6:30, at Circolo, 500 Florida St., Potrero Hill.)