Lowering the Bar: 5 Places to Drink For Cheap (or Free) This Week
Each week, former sf.myopenbar.com editor Allie Pape brings you her picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF. This week: Tacos, Noc-Noc-os, Clock-os, and other terrible puns. Have an event coming up? Want to share a tip? E-mail her.
1. Beat the Clock: Most of the activities available at Lookout center around the previous phrase, minus the letter L. But if you're a member of the GLBT community or don't mind being hit on by them, this event could be a fun way to get blasted. Drinks start at 50 cents and go up in price every half-hour, a DJ spins, and the advertisement specifically mentions passing out on the bar, so you know it's not a high-class joint. And if you're a dude seeking other dudes, well...cosmo goggles, folks. (Thursdays, 4-8 pm, at Lookout, 3600 16th St., Castro.)
2. Viv at Noc Noc: There's a new kid on the cheapskate block: meet Viv, which aims to combine wallet-consciousness with eco-consciousness. Since LTB is already a bike-riding, farmer's-market-visiting, composting member of the sustainability club, we have no problem accepting thank-you gifts like their 50% off deal at Little Star Pizza (held on Tuesday) or Friday's 50% off night at Noc Noc. That's right, mention "Viv Special" at the bar (or show your Viv sticker, if you're already hip), and receive $3 wine, drafts, and sake cocktails. They'll also have $2 Beck's. Oh, and be sure to check out Noc Noc's energy-efficient twinkle lights, which get the Viv seal of approval. More info here. (Friday, November 20, 4-7 pm, at Noc Noc, 557 Haight St., Lower Haight.)
3. Tacolicious Tuesdays: Laiola's Tacolicious stand, a Thursday Ferry Building fixture, is so popular that it's moving to Laiola itself every Tuesday until the end of the year. They'll have six kinds of tacos, and this kick-ass take on the prix fixe menu: $10 gets you a Tecate, a shot of Don Julio Reposado, and the taco del dia. [Full disclosure: A 7x7 editor helps run Tacolicious, something I myself didn't know until I was researching this deal.] (Tuesdays, 5 pm to close, at Laiola, 2031 Chestnut St., Marina.)
4. Dosa's Anniversary: Both Dosa on Fillmore and Dosa on Valencia opened around the same date (though in different years), and the Fillmore branch is offering a nice happy hour special to commemorate the occasions. Order any appetizer or entree, and get a free glass of wine in return. They've also got their usual $5 cocktails at this hour. If you're not tied to a 9-5 job, we could see this as a great conclusion to a day of Christmas shopping in Pacific Heights or a matinee at the Kabuki. (Monday, November 30 through Thursday, December 3, 5:30-7 pm, at Dosa on Fillmore, 1700 Fillmore St., Pacific Heights.)
5. Ozone Thai Happy Hour: Ozone Thai just opened in the SOMA space that previously housed Jack Falstaff, and we're pleased to see that they're carrying on that restaurant's tradition of reasonably priced, upscale happy hours. $4 drinks are made with sake and/or soju, and there are also $4 bites. They also have the always-awesome "both ends" happy hour, which means that drinks are cheap both on the early and late sides when weekends come around. (Daily, 3-6 pm, and Thursday-Saturday, 10 pm-1:30 am, at Ozone Thai, 598 2nd St., SOMA.)