Lowering the Bar: 5 Places to Drink For Cheap (or Free) This Week
Each week, former sf.myopenbar.com editor Allie Pape brings you her picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF. This week: Jippidy, Butterfly, It's Tops, and other funny names for great deals. Have an event coming up? Want to share a tip? E-mail her.
1. Jippidy Happy Hour: No plans tonight? You might want to check out Jippidy's happy hour, taking place at new hotspot Sloane. Lotus vodka cocktails are $5 all night, and they'll be announcing limited runs of free drinks on their Twitter account throughout the evening. There's a silent auction for Mission restaurant gift certificates as well. (Thursday, November 12th, 5-8 pm, at Sloane, 1525 Mission St., SOMA.)
2. Burger and a Beer at Zare: Zare at Fly Trap is a swanky place, and such places typically rest outside of our purview. When they introduce a great deal, however, we get excited for the opportunity to get in the door without looking strange. So it is with Zare's new deal: $15 gets you a half-pound beef burger and any beer, glass of wine, or well cocktail. It might not be as cheap as In-N-Out and a Tecate tallboy, but that's what you pay for the rarefied air of Fine Dining. (Monday-Saturday, after 8:30 pm, at Zare at Fly Trap, 606 Folsom St., SOMA. At the bar only.)
3. Butterfly Late-Night Happy Hour: Butterfly, which is located in the desolate stretch of the Embarcadero where few but Alcatraz-bound tourists venture, is trying to appeal a little more to the locals. Its late-night weekend happy hour (yes, you read that correctly) offers pub-hoppers and club-goers $5 top-shelf cocktails, $3 beers, and $5 wines by the glass. They've also got discounts on bar bites like wagyu beef sliders. Spread your wings and save us cash, little butterfly. (Friday and Saturday, 10 pm-12 am, at Butterfly, Pier 33 at Bay St., Embarcadero.)
4. Bar Crudo Happy Hour: NOPA's purveyor of delicious raw fish has introduced a happy hour that undercuts their usual high prices, with $3 beer, $5 wine, $1 oysters, and $5 chowder. Considering the quality of their usual fare, those oysters should be very tasty, and we're fond of their well-curated beer selection. (Monday-Thursday, 5-6:30 pm, at Bar Crudo, 655 Divisadero St., NOPA/Western Addition.)
5. Anchor Steam at It's Tops: This recognizable beacon of 50s flair, which is familiar to anyone who's ever exited from the 101 onto Octavia, doesn't really open for dinner-- the doors part at 8 pm, the better to serve the late-night drinkers that are its bread and butter. But they have some good news for those of us who aren't yet hungry or haven't begun our benders: $2.50 Anchor Steam pints, served at prime drinking hours. It's tops, indeed. (Daily, 8-11 pm, at It's Tops, 1801 Market St., Upper Market.)