Lowering the Bar: 5 Places to Drink for Cheap (or Free) This Week
Each week, we bring you our top picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF.
1. Beer, Bites, and Bikes at Show Dogs: Every couple of months, Show Dogs offers up one of its famed all-you-can-eat parties, with $20 buying unlimited brews, mini-sausages, and the famous onion rings. This outing benefits the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition's Great Streets Project, and attendees are encouraged to arrive on two wheels (they'll have valet bike parking) in order to take advantage of all the Speakeasy Prohibition, Black Butte Porter, 21st Amendment Hell or High Watermelon, and Scrimshaw Pilsner on offer. (Thursday, July 22, 6-8 pm, at Show Dogs, 1020 Market Street, Mid-Market.)
2. Tweservation at Coda: Also in the recurring-but-rare files is another iteration of the Tweservation partnership with Coda, the jazz club in the Mission. Pre-register for the event using your Twitter ID and get a free appetizer with your purchase of any half-off draft beer, draft wine, 42 Below vodka or Bombay gin cocktail, or cocktail on the Coda special list. Martella Wines will be conducting a tasting, and glasses of their vino will also be 50% off. No Twitter account? No problem-- just fill out the "Need Twitter ID" section of Tweservation's homepage, and they'll handle the rest. (Thursday, July 29, 6-8 pm, at Coda, 1710 Mission St., Mission.)
3. Rite Spot Happy Hour: A well-aged sign can make this tiny cafe on the corner of 17th and Folsom seem abandoned, but dedicated souls will find a hip little jazz club with a 50's vibe-- and a really cheap happy hour. On weekdays, pints are $2.50, and house glasses of wine and well drinks are $3. Stick around for the live music, which happens almost every night. (Monday-Thursday, 4-7 pm and Friday, 2-7 pm, at Rite Spot Cafe, 3099 Folsom St., Mission.)
4. Ambassador Wednesdays and Thursdays: We've long loved the Ambassador for their insane and wonderful $2 Tuesdays, where draft beers, well drinks, and a selection of appetizers go for a couple of sawbucks. Now they're extending the deal to $3 Wednesdays and $4 Thursdays for the duration of the summer. Our summers may not bring warm weather, but this is almost as good. (Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, 6 pm-2 am, at The Ambassador, 673 Geary St., Tenderloin.)
5. Jardiniere Wine Pairing Dinners: If you're willing to eat out on a Monday, Jardiniere is making a concerted effort to expand its reach beyond the well-heeled Civic Center crowd. For $45, you can dine on a three-course menu, complete with wine pairings-- a screaming deal for a place of this caliber. Want to see what's for dinner? Check out the website-- the menu rotates weekly. (Mondays, 5-10 pm, at Jardiniere, 300 Grove St., Civic Center.)