Lowering the Bar: 5 Places to Drink for Cheap (or Free) This Week
Each week, we bring you our top picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF.
1. Fashion's Night Out: Those who like a little drinking with their shopping should head to the Westfield on Friday night, where stores will be offering plenty of deals. A $10 ticket buys access to a party with wine and nibbles from LarkCreekSteak; after the fete, retailers like Hugo Boss, Michael Kors, and Tous will dispense free champagne, bites, and discount duds dispensed in equal quantities. All the proceeds from the event go to ArtPoint. (Friday, September 10, dome party 5-6:30 pm, store parties 6:30-8:30 pm, at the Westfield San Francisco Centre, 865 Market St., Mid-Market.)
2. $5 Wine Tasting at Local Kitchen: The Henry Wine Group will showcase their wares on Thursday at Local Kitchen, ranging from brut rose and sauvignon blanc to pinot noir and malbec. The price tag for tasting all the varietals is a mere $5, and snacks are available from the bar. (Thursday, September 9, 6-9 pm, at Local Kitchen and Brewery, 330 1st St., SOMA.)
3. Cocktail College at Bar Adagio: Recently renovated, the Hotel Adagio's stick is making a play for those who like to hit the books as they hit the bar. On the second Thursday of each month, they'll be offering a free tutorial in mixology with a certain liquor, typically with a brand ambassador on hand to demonstrate. After the tutorial, you can retire to one of two bar setups to mix your own version of the demo drink. Hendrick's gin is the first member of the series, and tuition at Cocktail College (which includes samples and one drink of your own making) is free. (Thursday, September 9, 6-7:30 pm, at Bar Adagio, 550 Geary St., Tendernob.)
4. Two-For-One at Cantina: The folks at City Dish have teamed up with Cantina for the second in their series of drink deals (the first one, for Elixir, is still going as well). Print out the coupon to get two Cusco Mules-- a pisco, lime juice, and ginger beer concoction-- for just $9. (Through Saturday, September 11, 5-8 pm, at Cantina, 580 Sutter St., Tendernob.)
5. Mamacita's Hora de Feliz: The Spanish translation might not be exactly right ("Hour of Happy?") but the deals are: head to Mamacita any weeknight for $4 margaritas and Herradura shots, 50% off specialty cocktails, $2 Tecates, and $2.50 tacos. Gracias a Dios. (Monday-Friday, 5:30-6:30 pm, at Mamacita, 2317 Chestnut St., Marina.)