Lowering the Bar: 5 Places to Drink For Cheap (or Free) This Week
Each week, we bring you our top picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF.
1. Giants Tickets Get 2-For-1 Beers: We know a lot of you are headed out to AT&T this weekend to see the Giants snatch up the division title from their rivals, the Padres. Since beer prices get a little steep at the stadium, consider hiking up to Dave's after the game; the cool little dive, just south of Market, is offering two-for-one beers with your ticket stub. (After any Giants game with stub, at Dave's, 29 3rd St., SOMA.)
2. Credo Happy Hour: The FiDi Italian joint Credo is looking to snag some of its neighborhood's prized cubicle-dweller traffic, which is why it's offering blowout prices compared to its usual fare: specialty cocktails, glasses of wine, and a pizza margherita all go for $5. On Saturdays, when the work crowd has emptied out, bottles of wine are half-off. (Happy hour: Monday-Friday, 2:30-6:30; Wine: all day Saturday, at Credo, 360 Pine St., Financial District.)
3. Whine After Work at Fat Angel: We're not quite sure why they chose to add an "h" to this title (maybe their bartender hears his share of office woes?), but the cute Fillmore wine bar Fat Angel is stepping up the complaints/lack thereof with $1 off draft wine, beer, and flatbreads during their happy hour. (Monday-Friday, 5-7 pm, at Fat Angel, 1740 O'Farrell St., Fillmore.)
4. $3 Tuesdays at Magnolia: The delicious, locally-made beer at Magnolia is also downright economical on Tuesdays, when pints go for $3 all day long. The whole neighborhood is quite aware of this awesomeness, so be sure to get there early, skip work, pay off one of the panhandling local kids to hold your barstool, etc. (Tuesdays, all day, at Magnolia Pub and Brewery, 1398 Haight St., Upper Haight.)
5. Party Discount at Mars Bar: We're in the midst of prime party season, with the Indian summer weather and the ever-present birthday celebrations driving the trend. If you're celebrating a birthday (or anniversary, or Friday) of your own, Mars Bar is offering a cool deal: book the party before September 30th (and hold it before October 28th), and they'll take 10% off your total bar bill. Did we mention they have a patio? (Through September 30th at Mars Bar, 798 Brannan St., SOMA. Ask for Jenny.)