Lowering the Bar: 5 Places to Drink for Cheap (or Free) This Week
Each week, we bring you our top picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF.
1. Show Dogs' Anniversary Bash: Show Dogs, the mid-Market sausage and beer palace from the Foreign Cinema folks, turns one year old this Friday. To celebrate, the restaurant is throwing an anniversary party. Your $20 ticket buys unlimited access to beers from Speakeasy, North Coast, 21st Amendment, and Anderson Valley, plus samplings of new menu items like fried chicken, pulled pork, and ribs. They'll also have a live guitarist. (Friday, October 15, 6-8 pm, at Show Dogs, 1020 Market St., Mid-Market.)
2. Taste of Fillmore: Celebrating and sampling continues into the weekend at Saturday's Taste of Fillmore event, where a $20 suggested donation is your ticket to samplings of wine and food from local restaurants. All the proceeds will benefit Jewish Family and Children's Services. Buy at the event, or in advance here. (Saturday, October 16, 1-6 pm, on Fillmore St. between Post and Jackson, Fillmore District.)
3. Happy Hour at BeeBo: Though the North Beach steakhouse Joey & Eddie's has fallen, something good is sprouting from the ashes: BeeBo, a pop-up restaurant that's bridging the gap until the space gets a new owner. In keeping with its theme of "cucina povera," the Beebs are offering one heck of a happy hour: 75-cent grilled oysters, $5 vodka or gin martinis, $5 Stella drafts, and $5 all-agave margaritas. (Thursday-Sunday, 5:30-7:30 pm, at BeeBo, 1652 Stockton St., North Beach.)
4. Hideo Wakamatsu Anniversary Party: The anniversaries continue at Hideo Wakamatsu, the Mission's popular luggage store. In addition to 20% bag discounts, shoppers can enjoy a free glass of sake all day long. Oh, and there's an interpretive dance performance involving the bags at 6 pm-- no comment on how much sake that will require. (Saturday, October 16, 12-7 pm, at Hideo Wakamatsu, 563 Valencia St., Mission.)
5. Giants Happy Hour at Blarney Stone: As the Giants continue their run for the playoffs, this Outer Richmond pub is letting fans put their money where their happiness is: if the boys in orange and black win, happy hour goes until midnight. Oh, and it's already on when the game is taking place, too. Your home team vs. your liver: who will win? (During Giants games and until midnight on days when the Giants win a game, at Blarney Stone, 5625 Geary Blvd., Outer Richmond.)