Lowering the Bar: 5 Places to Drink for Cheap (or Free) This Week
Each week, we bring you our top picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF.
1. Bonny Doon Wine Tasting: Bonny Doon's Randall Grahm, author of the recently acclaimed memoir Been Doon So Long, is the star of Coda's Meet the Winemaker Happy Hour this Thursday. Guests can sample a variety of vintages from the Doon catalog for free as they get doon to the sounds of DJ Jacob Pena as they compete to come up with the best "doon"/"down" puns. (Thursday, June 24, 5:30-7:30 pm, at Coda, 1710 Mission St., Mission.)
2. Jippidy Happy Hour at Eve: The business-video website Jippidy is teaming up with the foodie adventure squad Battledish to host a happy hour at SOMA's swank Eve Lounge. From 5-6 pm, beers are $2 and cocktails are $3; from 6-9, any drink is $2 off. If you're really feeling penniless, become a fan of Jippidy on Facebook, print out the evidence of your fandom, and your first drink from 5-6 is on them. (Thursday, June 24, 5-9 pm, at Eve Lounge, 575 Howard St., SOMA.)
3. Cheap Pride Drinks at Q Bar: Pride is this weekend, and happening LGBT folk who like to dance can often be found at the Q Bar in the Castro. They're maintaining their solid happy hour for the occasion: weekdays from 4 to 9 and weekends from 2 to 9, wells are $2.50, calls are $3.50, shots of Jager, Jameson, and Sauza are $3, and draft microbrews are $3. On Saturday, they'll also offer their "Beer Bust" from 2 to 9, with $10 microbrew pitchers, $10 six-bottle domestic buckets, and $15 imported buckets. (Weekdays 4-9 pm, weekends 2-9 pm, at Q Bar, 456 Castro St., Castro.)
4. Ultimate Happy Hour at Lookout: Also in the category of "here every week, but extra-packed for Pride" is Lookout's Friday Ultimate Happy Hour, which features $3 premium vodka drinks and 50% off appetizers, not to mention a prime Castro location that's sure to pull even the most confused gay out-of-towner into its force field. (Fridays, 5-9 pm, at Lookout, 3600 16th St., Castro.)
5. Lollipop Free Drink: Lesbians, we're not leaving you out: the popular Lollipop dance party is celebrating its third year at Pride by offering the first drink of the night free with your $15 admission, plus $1 Red Bull and vodka from 9-10. Gratis gift bags are also in the mix. Oh yeah, and there's going to be a member of Salt N' Pepa DJing! (Friday, June 25, 9 pm-3 am, at Sound Factory, 525 Harrison St., SOMA.)