Lowering the Bar: 5 Places to Drink for Cheap (or Free) This Week
Each week, we bring you our top picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF.
1. Yuppie Friday's Holiday Toy Drive: The oft-stressful holiday season comes with two built-in mood boosters: helping the less fortunate and getting wasted. Get the pleasure of both by attending Yuppie Friday's event at Vessel, where your $15 admission includes two drinks, and each new, unwrapped toy you donate gets you an extra $5 in bar credit. All the proceeds benefit the SF Firefighters' Toy Program for needy kids. (Friday, December 3, 5:30-8:30 pm, at Vessel, 85 Campton Place, Union Square.)
2. The Burritt Room Celebrates Repeal Day: 77 years ago, Prohibition was finally repealed-- and if you've caught up on your "Boardwalk Empire" reruns, you know that was a happy day in American life. Celebrate the big day by luxuriating in the old-school stylings of the Burritt Room; they'll have a glass of Solerno celebration punch available for 77 cents from 9-10, and $8 specialty Solerno cocktails for the rest of the evening. (Sunday, December 5, 9 pm-12 am, at the Burritt Room, 417 Stockton St., Union Square.)
3. Repeal Day at 21st Amendment: As befits a bar named for the amendment repealing Prohibition, Repeal Day is an annual holiday over at 21st Amendment. After a 4 pm march through the streets, the mezzanine will be offering beer at Prohibition-era prices (think a nickel), but just like Prohibition-era drinkers, you'll have to do a little legwork to get the password that will let you up there. Follow their Twitter feedF over the next few days for important clues. (Sunday, December 5, 4 pm-12 am, at 21st Amendment, 563 2nd St., SOMA.)
4. Holiday Executive Lunch at Seasons: Looking for a break from the pre-holiday office rush, or want to treat your favorite coworker to one? The Four Seasons has the answer: a three-course holiday lunch that includes a glass of sparkling wine, all for just $20. It's the gift that'll keep on giving until you clock out. (Monday-Friday, 11:30 am-2:30 pm, at Seasons, inside the Four Seasons Hotel, 757 Market St., Financial District.)
5. Winter Wonderland Craft Bazaar: If you like your holiday gifts to have that handmade touch, be sure to hit up Etsy's urban craft bazaar, where local artisans will have plenty of options for gift-givers. While you browse, take advantage of the $2 happy hour drinks, which are available from 6 to 9 p.m. (Saturday, December 4, 1-9 pm, at Urban Bazaar, 1371 9th Ave., Inner Sunset.)