Lowering the Bar: 5 Places to Drink For Cheap (or Free) This Week
Each week, we bring you our top picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF.
1. Tequila Tuesday at Maya: If you like tequila (and who doesn't?), mark the last Tuesday of the month on your calendar. For the next three months, Maya will be lining up a prominent distiller (this month is Espolon) for a sampling extravaganza. For a mere $10, attendees get three tequila tastings, a margarita, and access to a buffet of Mexican bar bites. Reservations are recommended, so get cracking. (Tuesday, January 25, 6:30 pm, at Maya, 303 2nd St., SOMA.)
2. Trumer Tuesdays at Orbit Room: Tuesday-related alliteration continues over at the Orbit Room, where the Berkeley-based Trumer Pils folks will be offering their suds for just $3, all day and night. This event rotates bars each month; keep up on their Facebook page. And try not to have an Under-the-Weather Wednesday, everybody. (Tuesday, January 25, all day, at The Orbit Room, 1900 Market St., Upper Market.)
3. Bottomless Pomosas at 1300 on Fillmore: We went to 1300 on Fillmore's Sunday gospel brunch a while back, and enjoyed both the Southern comfort food (biscuits!) and the fun, lively musical scene. As if those weren't swell enough assets, they've now added bottomless pomegranate mimosas for just $12. Hallelujah! (Sundays, 11 am-1 pm, at 1300 on Fillmore, 1300 Fillmore St., Fillmore District.)
4. Free Drink at the Tonga Room: If you haven't had at least one night out at the gloriously kitschy, perpetually endangered Tonga Room, you should really make the trip-- even with the requisite tourist-dodging, it's a lot of fun. Order an entree, mention their Yelp page, and they'll give you a free tiki drink (up to $12 value). It's a surefire way to get yourself pumped for the indoor rain show. (Daily, at the Tonga Room, Fairmont Hotel, 950 Mason St., Nob Hill.)
5. Penny Drinks at SR24: We try to keep our listings to the SF city limits, but this deal is too good to pass up if you happen to be in Oakland. Follow SR24's Facebook page for details on their "penny password" of the moment. Use the password during happy hour, and your drink is one cent. SR24, your awesomeness is welcome on this side of the bay any time. (Daily, 4-6 pm, at SR24, 5179 Telegraph Ave., Oakland/Temescal.)