Lowering the Bar: 5 Places to Drink For Cheap (or Free) This Week
Each week, we bring you our top picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF.
1. Waterbar and Epic's 3rd Anniversary: The twin titans of the Embarcadero, Waterbar and Epic Roasthouse, are on their way out of the terrible twos. Celebrate with them on Friday afternoon, when all of their usual happy-hour drink offerings will be available for just $3. Three, as it turns out, is the magic number. (Thursday, January 27, 3-6:30 pm, at Waterbar, 399 The Embarcadero, and Epic Roasthouse, 369 The Embarcadero.)
2. Two-For-One Urban Wine Tasting: This deal is for tonight, so get a pal on speed dial. Nine local wineries will be pouring their vintages at this Nirvino-sponsored party, which will also be serving up Three Twins ice cream and other snacks. Tickets are $20 in advance and $25 at the door, but thanks to the Daily Dishout, you'll get a second free pass for a friend. (Wednesday, January 26, 6-8:30 pm, at The Common, 1077 Mission St., SOMA.)
3. $3 Wine with Prix-Fixe Dinner: Rigolo Cafe, the French spot in Laurel Heights, is hoping to entice locals to join them for a $25 prix-fixe dinner (which includes soup or salad, an entree, or dessert). Order the prix fixe menu, and any glass of wine on their list is just $3. (Daily after 4 pm, at Rigolo Cafe, 3465 California St., Laurel Heights.)
4. Shop SF Ends January 31st: Many locals may not know that Shop SF, a campaign to promote local businesses, offers discounts to anyone with a Bay Area zip code on their driver's license. This year's deals are wrapping up on January 31st, so now is a good time to see if anything strikes your fancy. Among the drink deals: half-off wine and sake bottles at Blowfish Sushi, free bubbly at the Mandarin Oriental's restaurants, and a gratis glass of wine with an entree purchase at Momi Toby's Revolution Cafe. See the full list here.
5. The Spot Lounge Happy Hour: This Parkside Korean-fusion joint offers 25% off all their appetizers and drinks on Wednesday nights, all night long. Their specialty is soju, infused with fruit flavors and sometimes yogurt; order some chicken wings and seafood pancakes for ballast. (Wednesdays, 5 pm-12 am, at The Spot Lounge, 2325 Taraval St., Parkside.)