Lowering the Bar: 5 Places to Drink For Cheap (or Free) This Week
Each week, we bring you our top picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF.
1. Pisco Sour Day at La Mar: This Saturday is Pisco Sour Day, and to celebrate, three local bars that specialize in the Peruvian spirit are offering deals on one of its classic cocktails. La Mar's is made with Pisco Quebranta, lime juice, simple syrup, egg white, and bitters, and will go for $5 all day on Friday and Saturday. It's a deal that's hard to sour on. (Friday, February 4, 11:30 am-close, and Saturday, February 5, 12 pm-close, at La Mar Cebicheria, Pier 1.5, Embarcadero.)
2. Pisco Sour Day at Pisco Latin Lounge: They're named after the stuff, so it's no surprise that Pisco Latin Lounge delivers the goods when it comes to cheap pisco sours on Pisco Sour Day. Theirs will also be $5 all day on Saturday, and as an added bonus, the deal is extended through Super Bowl Sunday. Not a pisco fan? They'll also have $3 beers. (Saturday, February 5, 5 pm-1 am, and Sunday, February 6, 3-9 pm, at Pisco Latin Lounge, 1817 Market St., Upper Market.)
3. Pisco Sour Mustache Brigade: Finally, if you like a parade with your cheap drinks, consider enlisting in the Pisco Sour Mustache Brigade. They'll start a bar crawl at La Mar at 5:30, marching to 15 Romolo around 7. The after-party will be at Cantina, where partner Duggan McDonnell offers his own brand, Pisco de Encanto. Shots of the good stuff, plus pisco sours, will be (you guessed it) $5. More info here. (Saturday, February 5, 9 pm-close, at Cantina, 580 Sutter St., Union Square.)
4. Pink Mammoth Anniversary: Still not sick of pisco? Not a problem: 7x7 is cosponsoring the seventh anniversary of the Pink Mammoth Burning Man camp, with an open bar of Oro pisco punch and pisco-and-Red-Bulls to kick off the dancing. They'll also have food from Skool and Kitchenette, plenty of desserts, and of course, dancing. Admission is $7 if you RSVP and show up before 10:30; after that, it's $10. (Saturday, February 5, open bar 9-10:30 pm, at Mighty, 119 Utah St., Potrero Hill.)
5. Andalu Super Bowl Pig Roast: If you enjoy eating pig skin while watching pigskin, Andalu has the party for you. $12 buys you either two drinks or a full buffet of pork carnitas, pork ribs, pulled-pork sliders, sides, and salad, and they'll have specials on beer and margarita pitchers as well. They've got four big-screens for the gridiron action. (Sunday, February 6, 2-9 pm, at Andalu, 3198 16th St., Mission.)