Lowering the Bar: 5 Places to Drink For Cheap (or Free) This Week
Each week, we bring you our top picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF.
1. Fillmore Mardi Gras: Celebrate Fat Tuesday at the Fillmore's second annual block party, where numerous restaurants will be serving New Orleans-style cuisine and hosting live bands. The drink deals are numerous, including $3 Abitas and $6 Sazeracs at 1300 on Fillmore, 23-ounce pints of Abita SOS for $6 at Fat Angel, $4 and $5 drink specials at Gussie's Chicken and Waffles, and $6 Leblon cachaca cocktails at Sheba Piano Lounge. (Tuesday, March 8, 6 pm-12 am, in the Fillmore District.)
2. Luella Anniversary Wine: To commemorate six years in business, Luella is offering $4 wines by the glass for the entire month of March (Fridays and Saturdays excepted). The global selection includes picks from California, Spain, and Argentina. (Sunday-Thursday in March, 5:30-10 pm, at Luella, 1896 Hyde St., Russian Hill.)
3. Eve's Sushi Happy Hour: This Friday, the SOMA club Eve will be featuring ultra-cheap rolls from Live Sushi; 5 pieces will be just $3. To wash down the raw fish, drinkers can choose from a half-priced Sweet Leilani cocktail (sake, mint, peach nectar) or receive $2 off any other drink in the house. Dewar's will also be doing a gratis Scotch tasting. Get on the list here. (Friday, March 4, 5-8 pm, at Eve Lounge, 575 Howard St., SOMA.)
4. Indie 500 Happy Hour: Dance to indie pop, rock, and hip-hop on Thursday at Showdown, where DJ Lil' Elle will be spinning; to fuel your dancing, the bar will be offering $3 drafts and well drinks. You can also order food from neighboring Showdogs to be delivered to you at the bar. (Thursday, March 3, 6-10 pm, at Showdown, 10 6th St., Mid-Market.)
5. RN74 Happy Hour: RN74 recently added a "5 for $5" happy hour to their lineup, with $5 rotating glasses of red and white wine, plus $5 snacks like chicken croquettes and mushroom tempura. Best of all, it's a double-ended happy hour, so you can get a deal whether you head over on the early or the late sides. (Monday-Friday, 3-6 pm and 10 pm-close, at RN74, 301 Mission St., SOMA.)