Lowering the Bar: 5 Places to Drink For Cheap (or Free) This Week
Each week, we bring you our top picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF.
1. Mint Slope Cocktail Crawl: This event got announced late and is happening tonight, so pounce now: for a $5 donation (proceeds go to the Human Rights Campaign), bartenders at four bars on the strip of Upper Market known as "Mint Slope" will each offer their own Svedka vodka creations for your sampling. The crawl starts at Orbit Room, and continues to Blackbird, Pilsner Inn, and Rebel; vote for your favorite cocktail on your smartphone. RSVP here. (Wednesday, March 23, 6:30-9 pm, at Orbit Room, 1900 Market St., Upper Market.)
2. March Madness at Show Dogs: With its menu of sausages, burgers, and beer and its proximity to the downtown office crowd, Show Dogs makes for a fine spot to catch the electrifying conclusion of the NCAA tournament. You can snag an $8 pitcher of PBR during any tournament game, and for the Final Four and championship rounds, all pints will be two for one. Keep an eye on their Twitter account for other periodic deals. (Through April 4, 4 pm-close, at Show Dogs, 1020 Market St., Mid-Market.)
3. Final Four at Long Bar: Long Bar is closing in four weeks to renovate, so they're offering deals for both their final four and the Final Four. During all games, Trumer Pils drafts and Shiner Black Lager bottles are $3. Their happy hour also has $3 drafts, plus $6 well drinks and $5 glasses of wine. (Beer deals during all NCAA games; happy hour Wednesday-Friday, 4:30-7 pm, at Long Bar, 2298 Fillmore St., Pacific Heights.)
4. $2 Wine at the Corner: Formerly a wine bar, the Corner has reinvented itself as a rotating space for pop-up restaurants, ranging from pizza to BBQ to Indian cuisine. Before the nightly meal gets underway, though, you can get a taste of its original mission, with wine by the glass going for the insanely low price of $2. With booze this cheap, you can afford to gamble on dinner. (Monday-Friday, 4-6 pm, at The Corner, 2199 Mission St., Mission.)
5. Burger and Wine at Maverick: Maverick has always been big on decadence, and their latest creation is no joke: a butter-fried burger with smoked gouda, martini mayo, and truffled cornichons, served on an English muffin and accompanied by steak fries and a glass of wine. In honor of their 17th St. location, they're only making 17 of these wonders, so head in early and you can get the burger and the wine pairing for (surprise!) $17. (Tuesday, March 29, 5:30-10 pm, at Maverick, 3316 17th St., Mission.)