Lowering the Bar: 5 Places to Drink for Cheap (or Free) This Week
Each week, we bring you our top picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF.
1. DonQ Rum Cocktail Competition: The U.S. Bartender's Guild is hosting a cocktail competition at the Burritt Room, with Puerto Rican rum DonQ as the featured spirit. Attendees can sample rum cocktails made by eight competitors from the city's best bars, nosh on Sol's Puerto Rican food, and enjoy live salsa music by Hot Pocket. Admission is free if you RSVP here. (Tuesday, April 12, 7 pm, at the Burritt Room, 417 Stockton St., Union Square.)
2. HowAboutWe at Smuggler's Cove: The dating site HowAboutWe is hoping to make a few matches over a free scorpion bowl at Smuggler's Cove. Their event, designed for singles, encourages you to match up with someone; bartenders will only dispense a scorpion bowl if you order with a buddy, and there's a limit, meaning you should find Mr. or Ms. Right Now if you want a gratis drink. Space is limited; RSVP here. (Monday, April 11, 6:30-8:30 pm, at Smuggler's Cove, 650 Gough St., Hayes Valley.)
3. Bottomless Brunch in Ghirardelli Square: The Pub at Ghirardelli Square is upping the ante on the bottomless-mimosa trend; if you order a brunch entree this month, you get access to an endless mimosa adventure for only $5. This may well be the cheapest bottomless brunch in the city, even if you have to get stuck behind a few turtle-paced tourists to get your fix. (Saturdays and Sundays in April, 10 am-1 pm, at The Pub at Ghirardelli Square, 851 Beach St., Fisherman's Wharf.)
4. Etsy Craft Night: Crafting and drinking-- two great tastes that taste great together, as long as you're not messing with a hot glue gun. For a $5 admission, this event at the Museum of Craft and Folk Art will give you all the instruction and materials you need to make a homemade clip-on bow tie (or bow-tie headband, if you're not into the tie look), with $1 Trumer Pils available for sipping as you craft. (Thursday, April 7, 6-8 pm, at the Museum of Craft and Folk Art, 51 Yerba Buena Lane, SOMA.)
5. Half-Off Wine at Terzo: Cheap wine is only getting cheaper when you dine at Terzo-- if you order one entree or two small plates for dinner, they'll give you half off any bottle of wine under $40 on their list, with 20+ choices. Be forewarned, though: the deal is off if it's a holiday or you're throwing a private party. (Sunday-Wednesday, 5:30-10 pm, at Terzo, 3011 Steiner St., Cow Hollow.)