Lowering the Bar: 5 Places to Drink for Cheap (or Free) This Week
Each week, we bring you our top picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF.
1. 7th Annual SF Crawfish Boil: LTB is crazy about crustaceans, so anytime we hear the words "crawfish boil," we're there. If you've never eaten mudbugs before, they make for a perfect accompaniment to a nice day, a few pints, and a chat with friends-- difficult enough to require some effort to eat, delicious enough to be worth it. You can partake in all the crawfish your heart desires on Marina Green this Saturday for only $25, and to help you start the afternoon off right, the event organizers are offering free beer for the first hour. (After that, pints are $5.) Get your tickets here and start sucking. (Saturday, June 12, 11 am-5 pm, free beer 11 am-noon, at Marina Green, Marina Blvd. and Fillmore St., Marina.)
2. 5A5 Steak Lounge Happy Hour: The swank FiDi steak palace is looking to attract after-work revelers with a happy hour themed around its name: $5 buys drinkers a beer, glass of wine, or cocktail, as well as appetizers like chicken yakitori, seafood shooters, and truffle fries. They've also got $1 oysters on Wednesdays and Thursdays (six-oyster minimum), and come Sunday, happy hour goes all night. (Monday-Friday, 5-7 pm, Sunday all night, at 5A5 Steak Lounge, 244 Jackson St., Financial District.)
3. Free Champagne at Baan Thai: The newest Thai joint in the Inner Sunset wants to celebrate its opening with you-- come for dinner and receive a complimentary glass of champagne with your meal through the end of June. Their website notes that it's "server's choice," so it's up to you to figure out how to sweet-talk your server into cracking the Dom Perignon. (Daily, 5-11 pm, through June 30, at Baan Thai House & Wine Bar, 534 Irving St., Inner Sunset.)
4. SFMOMA: Now Playing: The Blue Bottle-Meatpaper collaboration at SFMOMA is out for another spin next Thursday. Your half-price museum admission (it's free if you're a member) gets you access to another awesome lineup of free Scribe wine and Trumer Pils, plus various small plates (focusing on edible flowers!) available for $5. Movies and an art installation will also be in the mix. (Thursday, June 17, 6-8 pm, at SFMOMA, 151 3rd St., SOMA.)
5. South End Grill 'n Bar Happy Hour: The new neighborhood eatery that's taken over the former Toad's Place is looking to attract Mission locals with a lineup of classic eats and solid beer prices. Pints of Speakeasy Big Daddy and Trumer Pils always go for $3.50, and if you come in during happy hour, Mt. Tam Pale Ale, wings, and yam chips are also available for the same price. (Daily, 5-7 pm, at South End Grill 'n Bar, 1499 Valencia St., Mission.)