Lowering the Bar: 5 Places to Drink For Cheap (or Free) This Week
Each week, we bring you our top picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF.
1. Free Mimosa at La Mediterranee: To promote their weekend offerings, the Noe Valley branch La Mediterranee is giving away a free mimosa with any brunch entree purchase (up to two per table). Sign up for the coupon at Daily Dishout, and embrace the healing powers of brunch. (Saturdays and Sundays through May 30, 11 am-3 pm, at La Mediterranee, 288 Noe St., Noe Valley.)
2. Buy One, Get One at OZ Lounge: This FiDi lounge, which has live music most evenings, is offering a buy one, get one free happy-hour deal on any drink. If you're peckish, they also offer a selection of tapas ranging from $3-7. (Daily except Fridays, 3-6 pm, at OZ Lounge, 260 Kearny St., Financial District.)
3. Rescue Dog Days at Show Dogs: Supporting local charities is usually much more difficult than eating sausages and drinking beer. Thanks to Show Dogs, though, there's no need to choose. Every other week, through July 7, they'll be throwing an all-you-can-eat-and-drink party for $20, with proceeds going to a designated cause. The series kicks off tomorrow with a benefit for the SF Food Bank, allowing you to quaff Black Butte Porter or biodynamic wine on behalf of the hungry. The full list of events is here. (Thursday, April 28th, 6-8 pm, at Show Dogs, 1020 Market St., Mid-Market.)
4. Free Movie Night at Park Chalet: Everyone loves to catch a weekend movie, but it can be a little dull staying home-- and theaters, the Kabuki excepted, haven't really figured out the booze equation. Get the best of both worlds by heading down to Park Chalet, where they screen a weekly Friday movie during their late-night happy hour. (Casino Royale screens this Thursday; next week's showing is Braveheart.) While you watch, sip on $3 beers, $6 wine and cocktails, and an array of snacks for $3, $6, or $9. The full screening schedule, through October, can be found here. (Fridays, 9 pm, at Park Chalet, 1000 Great Highway, Golden Gate Park.)
5. Two-Buck Chuck Scavenger Hunt: If you want to burn some calories before you drink, here's an interesting solution. Hike organizer Alex Genadinik will be placing bottles of Charles Shaw wine throughout the Presidio; hikers will then be tasked with finding them, and after two hours, everyone will drink the spoils. Hey, it's more fun than staying at home with your bottle of cabernet. Sign up here. (Sunday, May 1st, 2 pm, at Arguello and Jackson Sts., Presidio.)