Lowering the Bar: 5 Places to Drink For Cheap (or Free) This Week
Each week, we bring you our top picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF.
1. Peruvian Independence Day at Pisco Latin Lounge: While Peru's independence might go unhailed in most of the U.S., pisco-loving San Franciscans usually take it as an opportunity to indulge in our favorite Peruvian libation. Pisco Porton is leading the charge with discounted cocktails hosted by (where else?) Pisco Latin Lounge, featuring passed appetizers and a screening of Shakira's latest video. (Thursday, July 28th, 7-10 pm, at Pisco Latin Lounge, 1817 Market St., Upper Market.)
2. Peruvian Independence Day at La Mar: Also on the pro-Peru bandwagon is La Mar, which is offering $5 pisco sours all day long in the bar. They'll also have a traditional criolla band (which combines musical influences from Africa, Andean cultures, and Spain), and plenty of Peruvian dishes to nosh on. A brief PSA: Cuy is guinea pig, and yes, it's a popular dish down there. You have been warned. (Thursday, July 28th, 11:30 am-10 pm, at La Mar Cebicheria Peruana, Pier 1.5, Embarcadero.)
3. Happy Hour at Cantina: Mixology fans, listen up. This hidden spot off Union Square is offering its first happy hour, held every Tuesday. The drink list includes $2 cans of Tecate, $3 craft-brew drafts, and a weekly rotation of 5-6 specialty cocktails for $7. If you miss out on Peruvian Independence Day (or find it whets your appetite for pisco), they've got an in-house brand of the stuff, Campo de Encanto. (Tuesdays, 5-7 pm, at Cantina, 580 Sutter St., Union Square.)
4. SF Bicycle Coalition Bike Happy Hour: To promote awareness of biking and encourage pro-pedaling folks to meet each other, the SF Bicycle Coalition is hosting a happy hour at Duboce Park. In addition to free goodies, tire-pumping, and networking, they're running a special at the Duboce Park Cafe: buy a salad or sandwich, show your SFBC card, and get a free draft beer. (Thursday, July 28th, 5-7 pm, at Duboce Park Cafe, 2 Sanchez St., Duboce Triangle.)
5. Metrowize at 1015 Folsom: Metrowize is throwing another open-bar fiesta, and this time, they're taking over the spacious club at 1015 Folsom. They'll have three rooms of music (soul/funk, house/techno, and unconventional up-and-comers), the perfect accompaniment to three hours of hosted drinks. Added bonus: an Outside Lands ticket giveaway. RSVP here. (Wednesday, July 27th, open bar 9 pm-12 am, at 1015 Folsom, 1015 Folsom St., SOMA.)