Lowering the Bar: 5 Places to Drink For Cheap (or Free) This Week
Each week, we bring you our top picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF.
1. Drink Me Bar Hop: In keeping with Drink Me's Lewis Carroll-inspired theme, their bar crawl is all about following the White Rabbit. He'll be kicking off the evening at R Bar with $3 Sauza Blue margaritas, and continuing down Polk St. until 10 pm, spreading discounted drinks in his wake. Start the crawl and follow the Drink Me folks from bar to bar, or get the latest on their whereabouts from Twitter. (Thursday, August 4th, 6 pm, at R Bar, 1176 Sutter St., Tenderloin.)
2. Happy Hour at Koh Samui and the Monkey: This ballpark-convenient Thai spot has an upscale look, but at happy hour, prices are astonishingly downscale, with no drink over $4. Choose from draft beer, wine, well drinks, a margarita, or boozy lemonade. And if you're peckish, there are plenty of $3 bites, including fried calamari, fresh spring rolls, and steamed dumplings. (Daily, 5-7 pm, at Koh Samui and the Monkey, 415 Brannan St., SOMA.)
3. Brunch Club at Rendezvous Tapas Lounge: This recently-opened tapas spot on Van Ness has Top Chef alum Mattin Noblia in the kitchen, $10 bottomless mimosas, and DJs spinning. What more could you ask for out of a Sunday? They've also got $5 sangria, if the champagne-and-OJ thing isn't for you. (Sundays, 11 am-3 pm, at Rendezvous Tapas Lounge, 2080 Van Ness Ave., Nob Hill.)
4. Bottomless Brunch at Oola: Also on the bottomless-brunch train is Oola, which offers your choice of a bottomless mimosa ($10) or bloody mary ($12) with the purchase of a brunch entree like eggs Benedict or chocolate-hazelnut french toast. Pencil in a nap for 3:30, and you're good to go. (Sundays, 10:30 am-3 pm, at Oola, 860 Folsom St., SOMA.)
5. Wine and Cheese at Amelie: This deal has "girls' night out" written all over it. Every Monday, Amelie offers a combo of a cheese plate with your choice of three French fromages, French bread, and a bottle of Cotes du Rhone for the grand total of $31. Go with three friends, and that's a glass of nice wine and some high-quality nibbles for less than $8 apiece. (Mondays, 5:30 pm-2 am, at Amelie, 1754 Polk St., Nob Hill.)