Market Watch: Spring is Here! Avocados, Garlic Scapes and Rhubarb
Every week, Lulu Meyer of CUESA brings us the best of the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market.
It’s hard to believe that February is winding down and March is almost here. It’s a little too early to tell when strawberries will return to market, but it’s the perfect time to get a head start on your home or windowsill garden with some of the wonderful and unusual plant starts available at Flatland Flower Farm right now. Here is a brief synopsis of some of the other seasonal items I am looking forward to at the market in March:
• Avocados from Brokaw Nursery
• English peas from Iacopi Farms
• Asparagus from Zuckerman Farms
• Rhubarb from Happy Quail Farm
• St. Pat’s Cheese from Cowgirl Creamery
• Parrot tulips from McGinnis Ranch
• Garlic scapes from Marin Roots
• Hyacinth from White Crane Springs Ranch
• Lilacs from The Peach Farm
• Fresh goat cheese from Bodega and Yerba Santa Goat Cheese
In March the CUESA kitchen will be hopping with cooking demos by chefs Dominque Crenn of Luce, David Bazirgan of Chez Papa Resto and Joe Hargrave of Tacolicious. We’ll also be celebrating the triumphant return of everyone’s favorite tender green spears at the Asparagus Festival on March 20th with recipes, chef demonstrations and unusual asparagus preparation tips. Despite being such a short month, February, with all the rain and cold, has seemed entirely too long. With the start of a new season, exciting events planned in our teaching kitchen and the anticipation of my favorite early spring treats – the outlook for March is definitely something to look forward to.