Market Watch: This Week's Cream of the Crop
If anyone has the inside scoop when it comes to the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market, Lulu Meyer, associate director of market operations at CUESA. You'll see her at the market, rain or shine. Every week, she’ll be giving us her short list for the market—just in time for Saturday shopping. Go to cuesa.org for more information about farmers, seasonality and goings-on.
1. The Hamada family of Hamada Farms, based in the Kingsburg area, has farming for almost 90 years. During the summer, their stone fruits are some of the best, but for now, pick up branches of vibrant, springy peach and quince blossoms at their booth.
2. The perfect after-dinner cheese platter gets even more perfect with a wedge of sweet honeycomb, now at Marshall’s Farm Natural Honey. (Cheese and honeycomb make a nice hostess gift too.)
3. For a really good morning, make your next Bloody Mary with spicy pickled carrots from Happy Girl Kitchen.
4. Alert: The snack of the winter is almost gone. Page mandarins are at their absolute juiciest right now, so head to the Tory Farms stand for a bag now.
5. Shoppers in the know are snatching up the wild radish rapini from Knoll Farms. These greens add a nutty, peppery flavor to any frittata or soup.