Shucking, Slurping, & Jamming: SF Oysterfest 2011 Comes to Fort Mason This Weekend
Oysters, the toast of the ocean, are so rabidly revered in our city by the bay that they have their own Spring festival dedicated to them. Filled with top-notch music and tinged with just a bit of Irish flair, SF Oysterfest hits Fort Mason's Great Meadow this weekend.
Put on by North Beach pub O'Reilly's, it'll be ground zero for oyster lovers slurping and shucking the day away this Saturday, May 14. This year's music lineup rolls out Rodrigo y Gabriela, the fantastic Mexican acoustic guitar duo who love to play toned-down (but no less awesome) versions of metal songs, like Metallica's "Orion" or Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven," as well as their own hard-driving Latin folk tunes, tailor-made for an indulgent day in the sun. Guster, Pepper, and local jam band Tea Leaf Green round out the day of music.
Be sure to enter yourself into the decadent Shuck and Suck competition, watch cooking demos, and learn about oyster history (did you know they have colorless blood?), and enjoy Jameson beverages by Rickhouse. Kids under 14 get in for free, and all ticket proceeds go to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Grab tickets for this tasty, good cause here.
- Meet the Candidates for the The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's 2011 Man & Woman of the Year
- LLS's Man & Woman of the Year Winners Get Announced at Saturday's Grand Finale
- This Week in Fashion: Custom Leather at The Factory, Chillin' Turns 13, The 2nd Annual Beauty Expo + Mega Memorial Day Sales
- The LLS 2010 Man/Woman of the Year Kickoff Party
- Mix Master Mike DJs A Night of Dancing, Drinking & Gaming In the Name of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society