We Wanna Be Friends With: Joel Gott
Our city is chock-full of interesting people and wild personalities. Overwhelmed by the coolness? Every week we'll pick one standout local we'd love to be friends with to answer seven essential questions about their life in San Francisco.
If the name "Gott" immediately conjures up visions of juicy burgers, crisp fries and bomb.com milkshakes, then we understand where you're coming from. Joel Gott is the man behind Gott's Roadside (original location is in St. Helena, but the one we frequent is at the Ferry Building), and in addition to his burger empire this guy also has his own winery, Joel Gott Wines. Talk about living the dream.
We so appreciate Joel's enthusiasm for making burgers and fries we don't feel TOO guilty about eating (they do harvest a lot of ingredients from a garden located behind the St. Helena restaurant), and are super excited to try his wine! Thanks Joel for answering our first ever Wine Country edition of the We Wanna Be Friends With Q&A.
1. Where in Wine Country do you currently call home? Would you ever move or are you happy in your town?
Downtown St. Helena, two blocks from my office. Don't think I would move necessarily…wouldn't mind adding a place here or there though!
2. What's your absolute favorite thing to eat in Wine Country?
3. What's your perfect night on the town?
Either with my family riding bikes to Gott's on a warm night or heading to Cook with the guys for great eats, multiple bottles of wine, and of course walking home afterward…..
4. When you need a low-key afternoon, where do you go for down time?
On my bike, on some crazy route out in the hills that allows me to think.
5. What's your favorite place to go when on a day trip to SF?
There are many, but the Tartine, Bi-Rite, Delfina corridor is one of my favorites. And Zuni. And the Ferry Building. And and and…
6. Quick-fire round:
Burrito or burger?
Downtown Healdsburg or Sonoma Square?
Red or white wine?
Bike or convertible?
Best wine pairing: Cheese or chocolate?
Woodhouse golden graham chocolate bar with Joel Gott cabernet sauvignon and/or anything from Goat's Leap, preferable fresh chèvre with Joel Gott sauvignon blanc.
The Ferry Building or Oxbow Public Market?
I'm lucky to be able to frequent both because of where our businesses are located.
Cocktail or beer?
7. Three words that describe your life in Wine Country?
Busy, fun, busy.
Want more Joel?
- We Wanna Be Friends With: Sasha Wizansky of meatpaper
- We Wanna Be Friends With: Dave McLean of Magnolia Gastropub & Brewery
- We Wanna Be Friends With: Ike Shehadeh of Ike's Sandwiches
- We Wanna Be Friends With: Tablehopper's Marcia Gagliardi
- We Wanna Be Friends With: "First Lady of Fromage" Laura Werlin