We Wanna Be Friends With: Pizza Genius Tony Gemignani
Our city is chock-full of interesting people and wild personalities. Overwhelmed by the coolness? Every week we'll pick one standout local we'd love to be friends with to answer seven essential questions about their life in San Francisco.
The Bay Area native is an eleven-time World Pizza Champion, so it's no surprise that Tony's two sit-down SF spots have a multiple-hour average wait most nights of the week, and the to-go counter is always jam packed. But did you know that this guy has also been inducted into the Guiness Book of World Records...twice? Once for creating the largest pizza base spun in two minutes and again for most consecutive pizza dough rolls across the shoulders. He was also named the official US ambassador of Neopolitan pizza by the city of Naples–an honor only given to three people in the entire world.
We love the feeling of unbridled excitement when opening up a menu at his restaurants, have had some of our most memorable and delicious meals in SF through his doors, and can't wait for you to read his answers to the We Wanna Be Friends With Q&A!
1. What neighborhood do you currently call home? Would you ever move or are you happy in your 'hood?
North Beach. No, I'm happy.
2. What's your hands-down, absolute favorite thing to eat in SF?
The Octopus Salad with Ginger at Taddich Grill.
3. What's your perfect night on the town?
To get dressed up with my wife Julie and start the night by stopping at Tony Nik's and Gino n' Carlo's for cocktails before dinner. After some drinks have a light dinner at one of favorite restaurants like Michael Mina, Sotto Mare, or Perbacco. After dinner, stop by Bourbon and Branch, The Big 4, then The Burrit Room for an after dinner drink, then meet up with friends later in the night at Monarch then to Ruby Skye.
4. When you need a low-key afternoon, where do you go for down time?
I like to look for antiques, vinyl, or comics in the Mission or Haight. My favorite store in the Mission is called Stuff . Julie and I enjoy taking our dog Lucy for a walk to Fort Mason and spending time there.
5. What's your favorite place to go on a day trip from the city?
Napa, I love spending time there.
6. Quick-fire round:
Burrito or Burger?
Presidio or Golden Gate Park?
Bi-Rite or Mitchell's?
Bike or MUNI?
Neither, I walk or Uber it.
Fort Mason or Dolores Park?
The Independent or the Fillmore?
Fillmore but my last show was Reverend Horton Heat at the Independent.
Baker Beach or Ocean Beach?
7. Three words that describe your life in SF?
Crazy, Memorable, and Content.
Want More Tony?
- We Wanna Be Friends With: Tablehopper's Marcia Gagliardi
- We Wanna Be Friends With: Gabi Moskowitz of Brokeass Gourmet
- We Wanna Be Friends With: Sasha Wizansky of meatpaper
- We Wanna Be Friends With: Christian Albertson of The Monk's Kettle and The Abbot's Cellar
- We Wanna Be Friends With: Dave McLean of Magnolia Gastropub & Brewery