This Week in Food: Nombe's Renovation Complete, Straw Opens in Hayes Valley, Happy Hour at Press Club
The Mission's izakaya spot, Nombe, finished their renovation last week. Their new interior comes with an updated Japanese pub food menu, including edamame hummus with wonton chips, ginko nuts and grilled lemon, and fried burdocks with chili aioli. 2491 Mission St.
Some of the city’s favorite chocolatiers just happen to be neighbors in the Dogpatch, where Saturday, Jan. 22, Epicuring is leading a behind-the-scene tour. Along the way, they’ll stop at European-style Au Coeur Des Chocolats for a demo from Shawn Williams’ on molds, hot chocolate with cream, and s’mores. Pastry chef and chocolatier William Werner of Tell Tale Preserves and Kathy Wiley of Poco Dolce will take the group on tours of their kitchen and share their new confections. Ten dollars from each $50 ticket goes to support aspiring food entrepreneurs at La Cocina. 1198 Illinois St.
Hayes Valley upstart eatery Straw opens Monday, Jan. 24. The carny-themed restaurant will have cotton candy, booths made from old amusement park ride seats, and a menu of carnival fare apps, salads, and sandwiches, such as the Bearded Lady (pulled pork with blackberry coulis and chipotle barbecue sauce). To make a reservation, call 415-971-5653. 203 Octavia St.
Press Club California Wines
Tuesday, Jan. 25, is a good day to have happy hour at the Press Club. Ten percent of all California wines and paired bites from the lounge menu between 6 and 8 p.m. will be going to support the Raphael House, a nonprofit that provides housing to homeless families in Northern California. To RSVP, click here. 20 Yerba Buena Lane
- Steven Alan Opens In Hayes Valley, We Pick Our Favorite Fall Items!
- This Week in Food: Wine Pairing, Potrero Marketplace, Indian Street Food, and Chocolate Politics
- This Week in Food: Cocktail College, Beer Gala, Cookies, and Whole Foods Opens
- This Week in Food: Cheese Shop Opening, All Things Goat, Food as Art, and a Pop-Up Passover
- This Week in Food: Free Burgers, Pebble Beach Food & Wine, Brew Cruise, Locanda Opens, a Noodle Fest, and Cinco de Mayo Benefit