What SF Brewers Have on Tap for Strong Beer Month
Although we’re in the middle of SF Beer Week, we’re also near the midpoint of Strong Beer Month. To help you better plan your itineraries for both, it seemed like a good time to check in with the strong beer brewers to see how their supplies of the heavyweights are holding up.
David McLean, Owner Magnolia Pub & Brewery
We currently have all six strong beers; however, we are seeing record crowds and sales this year and I don't know how long all will remain available. For the last couple of years, Tweezer and Old Thunderpussy have run out by the end of the third week of the month. I would be surprised if either made it to the end of this week.
- Old Thunderpussy – Barleywine (11.9% abv), A liquid homage to Magnolia Thunderpussy, a 1960s San Francisco provocateur who ran a restaurant at the current site of the Magnolia Pub.
- Smokestack Lighting – Imperial Stout (10.7% abv)
- Pride of Branthill – Imperial ESB (8.9% abv)
- Punch You in the Eye – Strong Rye Ale (8.0% abv)
- Promised Land – Imperial IPA (11.5% abv)
- Tweezer Triple – Abbey Tripel (10.7% abv)
Shaun O’Sullivan, Co-Owner and Brewmaster at 21st Amendment
We are out of Oaked Drunken Monk, but it is being replaced with our barley wine, Lower de Boom later this week. We still expect to have them all for the remainder of the month, although we do say, "While supplies last...”
- Triple Crisis – Triple IPA (11.0% abv)
- Lord & Master – English Strong Ale(8.3% abv),
- Red Giant – Imperial Red Ale (13.0 abv),
- Two Lane Blacktop – Imperial Black IPA (9.8% abv),
- Hendrik’s – Imperial Stout (9.5% abv).
Rich Higgins, Brewmaster at Social Kitchen & Brewery
All five strong beers are on tap right now and should be available for at least another week and a half. The Double Doozy may run out before the end of the month, but the others could make it to March.
- Nessie – Scotch Ale (12.1% ABV) This oaky, smoky and dry Scotch ale is inspired by the flavors of Scotch whisky.
- The Big Lebowski White Prussian - Imperial Grätzer-style ale (9.0% ABV) Brewed with smoked wheat malt and organic coffee from Bicycle Coffee Roasters. The beverage gives a beery nod to the White Russian cocktail.
- White Thai Affair – Belgian-style Golden Ale (9.2% ABV) This ale is brewed with galangal and lemongrass for a spiced, imperial version of the brewery’s popular Rapscallion. Inspired by Thai tom kha soup.
- Double Doozy IPA (9.0% ABV) This IPA is brewed solely with organic Chinook hops from Hops-Meister Farm in Clearlake, CA.
- Liquidator - Doppelbock (8.0% ABV) A traditional Bavarian-style malty lager with notes of cocoa and cinnamon.
- Belgian Style Meets SF Beer at Magnolia and 21st Amendment
- Local Beers to Pair With Your Memorial Day BBQ Feasts
- Get Your German Beer On at Social Kitchen & Brewery
- Just Like Heaven? Beer and Artisan Cheese Pairing at Social Kitchen & Brewery Tonight
- Magnolia's New Dogpatch Brewery & Restaurant Details, Set to Open in 2011