7 Minutes with François Nars: Beauty Tips for SF Women
Fresh from creating 65 different makeup looks for Marc Jacobs during Fashion Week, François Nars, the Founder and Creative Director of NARS, stopped by our fair city to introduce his limited-edition 'NARS Loves SF' set at Nordstrom. Luckily he had a moment to sit down in the midst of all the hoopla that comes with the first personal appearance in ten years and answer a few pressing beauty questions for our new '7 Minutes With' series:
1. Which NARS products should be in every woman’s beauty bag? "I am going to give you five of my all-time favorites: the Multiple, the Body Glow, Ashes to Ashes Eyeshadow, Dolce Vita Lipstick and Shanghai Express Lipstick."
Non-NARS products? "Diptyque Ombre Dans L'eau fragrance and Kiehl's styling products."
2. What are the NARS top sellers in SF? "Laguna Bronzer, Orgasm Lip Gloss and right now Tropic Eyeshadow (which is new for summer!)."
3. Best beauty tips for San Francisco women: "Less is more! Be yourself and try to find your own identity through makeup. And don’t try to fight and follow fashion in a crazy way. Really follow what you feel, what you have inside, follow your emotions when you buy the makeup."
4. How does the SF woman’s beauty regimen differ from the New York and Parisian woman? "It doesn’t really differ. I see both cities as modern and fashion forward. The only tip I would give is to keep it light during the summer. I recommend using cream eyeshadows or sheer lipsticks, or lip glosses. The perfect thing to use is the NARS Multiple -- It is sheer, light and can be used on lips, cheeks and eyes! It is also the perfect purchase during this recession."
5. How did you determine what would be included in the NARS Loves SF set? Which came first, the color or the landmark? "The color, then the landmark. I wanted to pick my all time favorite archived shades and tried to think about what the women of SF would want."
Did you create these for other cities? "Yes, also for Chicago and New York."
Angel Island eyeshadow, Golden Gate Bridge highlighter, Alamo polish, Haight-Ashbury eyeshadow duo, available exclusively at Nordstrom in San Francisco