Help Bay Area Teens Go to the Prom in Style
Here’s a guaranteed way to rustle up warm, fuzzy feelings in the days leading up to Valentine’s Day: donate a dress to The Princess Project.
During the non-profit organization’s annual dress drive (Feb 8-14), drop-off locations around the city will be accepting formal dresses and accessories to give to Bay Area recipients later this spring. Since launching in 2002, the non-profit organization has donated some 9,000 dresses to local high school girls who would not otherwise have been able to afford formal dresses for their proms.
“It’s great for the whole community because women with these dresses in their closet can repurpose them. It’s just one less stress that high school girls can feel,” says Quinn Donnelly, secretary for the board of The Princess Project.
Boosting girls’ esteem is a large part of what prompted The Blues Jean Bar to participate this year.
“Every girl wants to look and feel perfect on their prom night,” says Dawn Morgan, the store’s manager.
To get involved, bring any new or nearly new formal gowns or cocktail dresses, jewelry, handbags, boas, tiaras, shawls or wraps (no shoes or make-up) to one of the following locations:
- The Blues Jean Bar
- Crossroads Trading Company
- The Bar Method
- Marc by Marc Jacobs on Fillmore
- Presidio YMCA – Main Post Fitness Center
While any length, size or color is acceptable, the dress you donate should be something a high school girl would be proud to wear (meaning, you can leave the tacky ‘80s dress you pilfered from your mom’s closet to wear on Halloween at home). Dresses must be dry cleaned and on hangars when you donate them.
For more information about upcoming volunteer opportunities, East Bay drop-off locations, store hours and donation guidelines, visit www.princessproject.org.
- Link Love: Zoe's Spelling Error, Becks Designs for Posh and more...
- Photos: Crossroads Trading's Annual Pop-Up Shop
- Princess Fati Dazzles in Verrieres & Sako Couture
- Link Love: Fugly Prom Dresses, Coco in Spike & Annie, Vibrating Mascara Wands!
- What’s the Deal: Johnny Bueno Brazilian Blowouts for Less, Dailey Method, Bell Jar + More